RX-7 FC Build Ideas?

Kere

I have a Turbo II RX-7 that a friend of mine is giving me when he pulls it out of storage.(IT HAS RS Watanabe F8 rims :D) It hasn't run in a while but has been kept in good condition. I want to put racing parts on it like i have all my cars, but this is the first rotary i've ever even seen. So i have no idea how to build it and what parts. He said to get parts from Mazdatrix.com. It hasn't arrived yet, but i want to build it like a nice, powerful, good car. I have some Experience after building a Camaro and a Mustang, but this is a rotary. All help would be appreciated. The ideal build is for Autocross. Thanks.

So far this is the exhaust he bought for it but never put on.
http://mazdatrix.com/r-extii.htm Part# 16425

Giving?! Wow...

Any more details on the car (year, miles, rebuilt engine or not)? If it hasn't run in a while you might have your work cut out for you. Mazdatrix is a decent resource for most mainstream stock and aftermarket parts but I find their prices high sometimes. It looks like your buddy purchased the Racing Beat exhaust through Madatrix. Very few of the parts they sell are actually their own. There are a bunch of other places out there that sell good parts. Unfortunately the rotary community here is relatively small, but we'll help where we can. I strongly suggest getting the car running strong and reliably before doing anything to it. If you're serious about autocrossing leave it stock for a while so you can get a feel for it.

I agree on keeping it stock for now, replace all of the maintainace items ( oil, coolant, brake fluid, trans and diff fluid, plugs wires, belts) and make the car reliable. Then after you learn what the car should feel like and you get some seat time, then you can start modding the car to fix its problems.

Giving?! Wow...

Any more details on the car (year, miles, rebuilt engine or not)? If it hasn't run in a while you might have your work cut out for you. Mazdatrix is a decent resource for most mainstream stock and aftermarket parts but I find their prices high sometimes. It looks like your buddy purchased the Racing Beat exhaust through Madatrix. Very few of the parts they sell are actually their own. There are a bunch of other places out there that sell good parts. Unfortunately the rotary community here is relatively small, but we'll help where we can. I strongly suggest getting the car running strong and reliably before doing anything to it. If you're serious about autocrossing leave it stock for a while so you can get a feel for it.

Sadly, i don't know the year. it's either an 88 or 89. Mileage is 9X,XXX. I think he said he had it rebuilt but doesn't remember what mileage. According to him, it starts and runs fine. He just doesn't drive it after he got his Evo 6. (don't know how many time it has been rebuilt, but it's stock right now). It is the racing beat exhaust. And he's giving it to me because i gave him My Mustangs old 5.0 engine(was a 680 HP engine without the NOS) after i put a 429 Cobra Jet into it.

Also, just to clear some things up. The reason i'm building it in an autocross manner isn't for me. My friend races and wants to use my FC to do it. I don't do auto cross but after driving a 93 mustang with 900 HP my whole life, i thought it's time to try something new, a rotary. So i will drive it, but my friend will be racing it. So i did get back the engine was rebuilt at 60,000 thousand miles when some problems came up with the cooling system.(turbo was transferring heat to the engine) So it's only got 15,000 miles on the current engine. Only problem is it needs new seats(gonna look for some racing bucket seats) and a new paint-job, as it's starting to peel at the back. I'll take some pictures when time allows it, and after i bring it to my house. It's at my storage now. And of Course, there will be some video of my friend racing it when we are all done. :D

Neato! Post pics when u get it!

Will do. Just leave me a lot of time to do this. it may seem easy, but my storage i have it in, is almost halfway across the country from where i'm currently working, and i have very little time. but don't worry, if all goes well(my job better not screw my vacation over) I'll have pics by October. Hopefully repainted too.

Back