Rust issue on inside of both front doors (2019 CX-5)

:
CX5 Siggy
Hey folks.

Last winter the drivers side door of my CX5 became very heavy and hard to open, especially when the temperatures got well below freezing.

Initially I just figured that the hinge would need fresh lubricant, although I have never lubed the doors on any vehicle in 30 years and have never experienced this issue.

When discussing this with a friend he mentioned the chance that the door took in water and perhaps there was/is no drainage. I did recall that for a small period the inside of the window got very streaky and needed to be cleaned, I have never had to do that before so maybe he was on to something. I went to take a look at the inside of both front doors and I discovered rust there, much to my surprise. I always loved how the way the doors are designed limited the about of debris and moisture that builds up, especially when compared to other cars.

Does anyone have this issue on their cars? Any tips on how I can identify a drainage point?

Attachments

• IMG_5701.JPG
    IMG_5701.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_5702.JPG
    IMG_5702.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 130
Usually there’re a couple of drain holes at the bottom edge of the door. Check to see if they’re clogged and any water accumulation inside of the door panel.

Wow! That looks like hell!!!

Gotta be the drain holes. Is your CX kept in a garage? I'm betting not.

No mention of the MY of your CX, still under warranty?

That door panel needs to be removed for inspection.

It’s a 2019, yeah I plan on getting it looked at. 5 year warranty is up in mid February.

100% outdoor parked unfortunately.

5 year warranty? You had better read that again. There's a 5 year powertrain warranty, that won't cover any rust. There's a 5 year rust through warranty, better read the fine print on that very closely.

Back