Running AppleCar Play USB cord hidden to Front Vents

Really did not like the placement of the USB port to plug into to run AppleCar. I was not one to want to leave the phone in the center console....I wanted to have my phone on the dash for easy access...So i needed to figure out 2 things.

1) How to mount the phone?
2) How to wire from the USB port in the center console to the middle front dashboard

Decided to watch some youtube videos, search google etc and then decided on pulling some pieces and ultimately using a 1/2 drill spade drill bit and going for it.

Scary only having the car for 2 weeks and 143 miles and drilling holes in the center consule and tugging on pieces of the inside to determine how to run the wire.

Ultimately this was not bad.

Parts needed
6 ft USB lighting cable
1/2 spade drill bit + drill
Long wire to help feed the USB cable from the center console to the floor (i used a coat hanger)
some tape

I may be the guinnea pig as i drilled a hole in my center console and it went NOWHERE...so DO NOT DRILL ON THE SIDE OF THE CENTER CONSOLE.

So front wall near the SD CARD, USB PORT and accessory socket, is held in place with two connects, that with a small plastic splitter or if want increase the chance of denting the soft plastic, use a butter knife or flat screwdriver the front pops off.

This is where a hole can be drilled and the wire run down to the bottom of the passenger seat to start its journey to the center console (the passenger seat was all the way forward and i was in the backseat to do this) (ensure both USB ports have a wire inserted and the SD card and accessory socket are closed....a lot of small plastic debris went flying and you do not want these to get in the connections).

car 1.jpg

There is a large set of wires that run at the bottom i imagine the heated rear seats and usb ports etc, but i was able to run my coat hanger to the driver side of it until i started to make my way out of the plastic console and onto the carpet floor between the console and the passenger seat ( the passenger seat was all the way forward and i was in the backseat to do this).

Once you get hold of the wire and fish the entire wire to the bottom, the wire can be discarded and then it is easy to run just the USB wire....Start by moving it to the front, move the passenger seat fully back...Tuck the USB wire along the bottom of the console.

There is one piece of plastic you need to remove and it under the dash where your left foot would rest. This easily pops off. I opened the glove box and ran the wire up the left side.

car2.jpg

From there i ran the wire up the left side with the glove box open the leather trim that runs from the passenger window to the steering column, pops off with a little pull from the bottom. i started from the door and lifted the pieces towards me and up and worked my way to the center, stopping when i can access the center so the entire piece was not removed.

car3.jpg

There was a small area behind this center trim to hide excess wire, so one i got this far....i went back to the center console and pulled the wire snug and only left a small portion of the wire as seen above.

You should try to find one of those black rubber plugs to plug the hole in the center console.
Cable would run through it.

You should try to find one of those black rubber plugs to plug the hole in the center console.
Cable would run through it.
Yes was thinking of something like that as well...Wish I also used a black wire but will be a quick replacement if I do decide to switch.

Back