RPM stays high even when releasing the gas

:
2019 CX-5 GTR
As I've been breaking in my GTR (just about 1000 miles now) I've noticed that sometimes when I mash/light throttle on the gas (to pass another vehicle, make a turn, etc) and let go of the gas pedal, the RPMs will stay high, almost like its stuck in a lower gear.

And the more I think about it, it seems like the vehicle stays in low gears alot of times when the foot is off the gas.

I'll be turning a corner, pressing a little gas, then releasing the acceleration and the rpms will seem to be stuck in a lower gear with the rpm revving higher than it should be.

Typically when you release the gas pedal, the car naturally slows down. But as the rpms are high, it feels like my cx5 wants to get keep accelerating even though the foot is off the gas pedal.

And this becomes even more pronounced on downhills.

Anyone else experience the same?

Last edited:
The way you describe it sounds normal to me. Can you get a passenger to record, or use a dashcam or something to replicate the issue on video, then upload it to youtube and post it here?

The reason I say that it sounds normal to me is because that's how I'd want the car to behave. An example would be merging onto a freeway, then moving over to the passing lane on the left. I would accelerate to merge, take my foot off the accelerator while shoulder checking for traffic in the next lane, then begin accelerating again after making the lane change. When I take my foot off the accelerator while at high RPMs, the car naturally slows down a bit as the RPMs wind down. This is like braking without using your brakes. Then, when you make your way into the next lane, you can more easily accelerate into the next gear and match speeds in the passing lane (vs. gearing down as you merge, then having to gear up, accelerate hard, and gear up again to match speed after moving to the passing lane).

Maybe instead of letting go of the accelerator completely, just ease off of it. It's possible that you may not be allowing enough time for the car to gear down after taking your foot off the gas. In the cars that I've driven, they usually have to coast for a bit before the transmission gears down.

Also possible that the car hasn't "learned" your driving style yet.

As I've been breaking in my GTR (just about 1000 miles now) I've noticed that sometimes when I mash/light throttle on the gas (to pass another vehicle, make a turn, etc) and let go of the gas pedal, the RPMs will stay high, almost like its stuck in a lower gear.

And the more I think about it, it seems like the vehicle stays in low gears alot of times when the foot is off the gas.

I'll be turning a corner, pressing a little gas, then releasing the acceleration and the rpms will seem to be stuck in a lower gear with the rpm revving higher than it should be.

Typically when you release the gas pedal, the car naturally slows down. But as the rpms are high, it feels like my cx5 wants to get keep accelerating even though the foot is off the gas pedal.

And this becomes even more pronounced on downhills.

Anyone else experience the same?

The hill part is normal engine braking, saves wear and tear on the brakes.

Thanks for the reply folks.

I'll admit all of my previous vehicles were older (albeit a 2015 Honda Accord manual transmission) and this is something I've never experienced with other older cars.

Or i'm the one who's outdated. (drive)

Happens in my 18' Touring every once in a while while I'm above 4500 RPM and then let off on the gas. I find that normal in Sport mode and slightly weird in normal mode but understandable. The CX5 isn't a powerhouse and having the power already on tap is helpful.

This is how a vehicle should be driven, Mazda just knows how to properly tune a slushbox better than anyone else's I've driven, and I suspect you're used to Hondas and other things with no sporting intent.

Yea, I would not want my car upshifting during a corner. That's means less grip.. and if you have AWD, you can feel increased understeer as the rear unloads when this happens. I actually find that annoying that at higher speeds/RPMS the car is too willing to go from fourth to 5th after I kick it down for increased grip (increase 4wd action). This usually happens around 75-85.

My CX5 does that in anticipation that I am driving very briskly do to my rapid accelerator input and I will want to accelerate fast soon. A very nice feature for sporting type driving. Ed

Normal behavior for my 2013. I appreciate it as well. Mash the gas, it downshifts, and I can change lanes to pass a car. Let off the gas quickly, check my blind spot, and mash the gas again to change lanes one more time and its still ready at that high rpm.

Perfect for me getting on the FL turnpike. People always enter traffic at 55-60 instead of at 70, so I have to do some spirited driving while merging to be sure Im at the same speed as everybody else on the road. It goes right back to a higher gear if I ease off the gas or lightly touching the pedal after letting go quickly.

Back