round vs oval tipped mazdaspeed muffler

ibanez78

can someone tell me the sound differences between these 2 mufflers? i had an oval tipped one and i liked the deep sound of it but it died so now i'm looking for another one. i think i read that the round one had an over all quieter sound but it was louder during hard acceleration. any info will be appreciated :)

I have the racing beat and had the mazdaspeed one before... the difference is night and day. Fart can or nice performance exhaust, it's your pick :p

Well, talk about a coincidence. I just had both side by side yesterday.
I have a 02 LX and that tiny exhaust did what it was designed to very well...muffle.
I bought a Mazdaspeed axleback, mostly because I found one brand new on Ebay for $125. This is before I realized there was difference between Mazdaspeed aftermarket muffler(MS) and the Racing Beat exhaust that comes on the Mazdaspeed Protege(MSP). And there's a huge difference.

Appearence...
the MS has a huge tip. It stainless and fitment is what you would expect from Mazdaspeed. The piping was slightly larger on the MS.
the MSP has a smaller oval tip, larger body and appears stainless. Fitment is obviously OEM.

Sound...
The MS had two different personalities. Inside and outside the car.
Outside the car, its deeper and slightly louder but not excessive enough to attract cop attention.
But inside the car, its the same unless you apply WOT or zero throttle while in gear. It sort of resonates inside the car and gets a "booming" quality...noticeably louder but you can't tell outside the car.
The MSP is slightly louder than stock but blissfully quieter then the MS in all conditions.

Performance...
Its just an axleback. I wasn't expecting much HP(if any) by replacing the muffler. And my butt dyno can't feel a lick of difference between the two.

Given that, I am happier with the MSP. The MS is fine, but I'm getting older and its noise probably better suited for a younger crowd.

Last edited:
I had the 03.5 MSP axle-back replaced under warr. with the MS one.

The MSP was def. quieter, but neither are "fart-cans" as someone pointed out.

IMO - i like the look of the round better than the oval MS muffler.

The muffler on the MS is much smaller than the MSP, lending to the noise.

Neither are objectionally loud or annoying though. I wish my car was louder still.

i have the round tip

b4 header and midpipe: too silent for my taste, but no rice
b4 midpipe with header: nicer, but not quite there yet
now: it's pretty loud and backfires, but i like it

GO RACING BEAT MP3 STOCK EXHAUST YAAAAAAAAAA!! we have a round head. idk its lighter louder than a stock exhaust. when im at idle my freind who owns a 03 es said my exhaust is louder than his. and when i redline it goes from quiet to loud. i think it sounds really good. WAY better than those fartcans on civics.

davens said:
Sound...
The MS had two different personalities. Inside and outside the car.
Outside the car, its deeper and slightly louder but not excessive enough to attract cop attention.
But inside the car, its the same unless you apply WOT or zero throttle while in gear. It sort of resonates inside the car and gets a "booming" quality...noticeably louder but you can't tell outside the car.
The MSP is slightly louder than stock but blissfully quieter then the MS in all conditions.

Performance...
Its just an axleback. I wasn't expecting much HP(if any) by replacing the muffler. And my butt dyno can't feel a lick of difference between the two.

Given that, I am happier with the MSP. The MS is fine, but I'm getting older and its noise probably better suited for a younger crowd.

i had the MS exhaust on my 01' sedan when i was younger.....when i got my P5 i had it chopped and installed on her......

got a little too loud for me and i picked up a factory MSP exhaust and had a little chopped off to fit my P5 this winter. much better sound-wise and equal gains if any.....

-R

about $120 shipped for one in good condition, considering you can get the MS one from mazdastuff.com for $140

Back