Rooftop Tent for CX-5?

Has anyone successfully set up a lightweight rooftop tent on a CX-5? Something like this? https://www.sylvansport.com/shop/loft-rooftop-tent/

I am pretty tall and I don't think I will fit that well in the back of the CX-5 while camping. I love the CX-5 interior and ride so much more than a Subaru ... but I do eventually want to have a very basic camping setup. I don't ever plan on towing some big camping or anything, but even a simple soft shell rooftop camper is all I need.

Is this something the Cx-5 could easily handle? Or am I totally crazy and it doesn't suit the CX-5 well?

Any experience out there with this type of set-up would be appreciated.

While this looks good 'on paper' I'm fairly certain that you will exceed the weight limit for the roof rack.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that the weight limit is 75lbs per rack (150lbs total) or 75lbs total.

So, unless you're a VERY small guy who will be sleeping alone up there, you're going to have an issue.

While this looks good 'on paper' I'm fairly certain that you will exceed the weight limit for the roof rack.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that the weight limit is 75lbs per rack (150lbs total) or 75lbs total.

So, unless you're a VERY small guy who will be sleeping alone up there, you're going to have an issue.
That load limit is the dynamic load limit. Your roof rack/roof can support the 3-4x the weight of the vehicle. As long as OP gets sturdy rails (probably not the OEM ones), they’ll hold him just fine

That load limit is the dynamic load limit. Your roof rack/roof can support the 3-4x the weight of the vehicle. As long as OP gets sturdy rails (probably not the OEM ones), they’ll hold him just fine
I understand the static versus dynamic but just dont trust it. I've never put over 200 lbs on any roof rack and usually stay below 165 lbs.

Mazda OEM rails/crossbars are only rated to 165 lbs.

There are stories of aftermarket Amazon rails/crossbars breaking with only 100 lb loads.

OP would need to get thule or yakima racks.

I still wouldn't trust one persons sleeping on a roof let alone a family.

Those tents by themselves are between 100 and 200 lbs plus all your weight, and anyone elses weight.

Thats alot of damage if rack or roof breaks/bends.

Plus i'd be afraid of rolling out of and falling off the roof while sleeping.

Unless you live in the Outback, safer to just get a cargo-rack and keep a pop-up-tent, air pump and air mattress on roof for when needed. Also get a hammock. That will keep you off the ground if you dont want to sleep on ground. Thats what i've done in past.

Or get one of the smaller A-liner A-frame camper that's less than the CX5 tow range.

Last edited:
I understand the static versus dynamic but just dont trust it. I've never put over 200 lbs on any roof rack.

Mazda OEM rails/crossbars are only rated to 165 lbs.

There are stories of aftermarket Amazon rails/crossbars breaking with only 100 lb loads.

OP would need to get thule or yakima racks.

I still wouldn't trust one persons sleeping on a roof let alone a family.

Those tents by themselves are between 100 and 200 lbs plus all your weight, and anyone elses weight.

Thats alot of damage if rack or roof breaks/bends.

Plus i'd be afraid of rolling out of and falling off the roof while sleeping.

Unless you live in the Outback, safer to just get a cargo-rack and keep a pop-up-tent, air pump and air mattress on roof for when needed. Also get a hammock. That will keep you off the ground if you dont want to sleep on ground. Thats what i've done in past.

Or get one of the smaller A-liner A-frame camper that's less than the CX5 tow range.
We come from different worlds I guess. I would not use the OEM crossbars. They flex with very little load. In the off roading world, tons of people put roof top tents on their vehicles and have no issues. Usually with aftermarket racks or bars.

I’ve used a single extruded aluminum bar on our other vehicle as a base for an extended ladder. Weight of ladder is about 35 pounds plus my weight at 180 pounds. No deflection on roof, rails, or bars.

IIHS rated the roof strength of the 2017 CX-5 at 19,362 pounds. Obviously that’s across the whole roof, but point is, a couple people and tent will be fine.

We come from different worlds I guess. I would not use the OEM crossbars. They flex with very little load. In the off roading world, tons of people put roof top tents on their vehicles and have no issues. Usually with aftermarket racks or bars.

I’ve used a single extruded aluminum bar on our other vehicle as a base for an extended ladder. Weight of ladder is about 35 pounds plus my weight at 180 pounds. No deflection on roof, rails, or bars.

IIHS rated the roof strength of the 2017 CX-5 at 19,362 pounds. Obviously that’s across the whole roof, but point is, a couple people and tent will be fine.
I am curious why it has to be on the roof? There are so many cargo area tents that attach to the vehicles and deliver a private room without all the issues (and costs) of trying to be on the roof.

I am curious why it has to be on the roof? There are so many cargo area tents that attach to the vehicles and deliver a private room without all the issues (and costs) of trying to be on the roof.
I’ve not done it. I’m a ground tent kind of guy. RTTs are expensive and unnecessary IMO, but it’s what OP asked about. In the off road/over landing world, a lot of people build out the back of their rigs to be kitchens and recovery gear storage so there is no room for one of those cargo area tents

Maybe wild animals.

Has anyone successfully set up a lightweight rooftop tent on a CX-5? Something like this? https://www.sylvansport.com/shop/loft-rooftop-tent/

I am pretty tall and I don't think I will fit that well in the back of the CX-5 while camping. I love the CX-5 interior and ride so much more than a Subaru ... but I do eventually want to have a very basic camping setup. I don't ever plan on towing some big camping or anything, but even a simple soft shell rooftop camper is all I need.

Is this something the Cx-5 could easily handle? Or am I totally crazy and it doesn't suit the CX-5 well?

Any experience out there with this type of set-up would be appreciated.
I’m 6’ 3” and have slept in the back of our CX-5 comfortably many times. It takes pushing the seats all of the way forward and up, along with a sleeping platform. Have also had my wife and dog in there with no problem.

Last edited:
No, I’ve not tried that, but I’m in the camp that doesn’t believe the factory crossbars would hold up to the weight of the tent/shell combo and adult weights. I’d save ~$2,700 by buying a $100 tent and using that.

Just read a "long term update" in Motor Trend (different SUV) where they discuss using one of these (Thule brand). Their conclusion was it was nice, but they wouldn't buy one themselves. They said it was comfortable but took way too much time to set up each night plus they dented the roof at one point, and the expense. They said they rather just use a small tent and air mattress - as Chevy said above. YMMV.

Today, for the first time, I've seen two Mazda ads online for what appears to be a CX-5 (didn't look too closely) with a roof top camping tent on factory rails.

Today, for the first time, I've seen two Mazda ads online for what appears to be a CX-5 (didn't look too closely) with a roof top camping tent on factory rails.
LOL... I know none of us would try these but notice how none of them advertisements show a family sleeping on the roof. Just the tent by itself.

Back