Roof Rack System and Cargo Box Options for 2017 CX-5

Here’s my 2019 with oem rails and crossbars. Box is the Thule motion XT L. We mounted both the large and xl and the large fit better. No adjustments to the rear lift gate and I have it mounted about 2” from the maximum open position for the rear lift gate. I hope this helps but feel free to ask anything.

Edit: one thing to mention is the motion has the angled back where the force is straight. I also liked the locking system more on the motion than the force.
That looks good and functional.

Extremely functional. I keep a small fold up one step stool in the truck just for a little bit of extra height when getting into it. You can step on the door mouldings but I don’t like to put that much stress on them. They also have the one foot stools that hook to the door hing but they seem to scratch the paint easily.

Extremely functional. I keep a small fold up one step stool in the truck just for a little bit of extra height when getting into it. You can step on the door mouldings but I don’t like to put that much stress on them. They also have the one foot stools that hook to the door hing but they seem to scratch the paint easily.
Nice. You could get running boards...there's a nice selection out there. I just posted a thread "cx5 running boards." The black or the black with some silver look the best.

Here’s my CX-5 with a Yakima Skybox 16 on factory rails. I think this is the biggest box you get get without any fit or hatch clearance issues. It fits up to 180cm skis.
Thanks so much for the confirmation! I already owned a 10 year old Yakima SkyBox 16 and as you say it fits my new 2021 CX-5 with no hatch clearance issues. My setup is Mazda Factory Rails, Thule Wingbar Evo 18 Pair 47", Thule Rapid Podium Foot, Kit 183160. Soild. Works. Installed myself bt it took me quite a while I must say!

Thanks so much for the confirmation! I already owned a 10 year old Yakima SkyBox 16 and as you say it fits my new 2021 CX-5 with no hatch clearance issues. My setup is Mazda Factory Rails, Thule Wingbar Evo 18 Pair 47", Thule Rapid Podium Foot, Kit 183160. Soild. Works. Installed myself bt it took me quite a while I must say!

How's the road noise with the crossbars?

Latest posts

Back