roni's new stainless exhaust manifold

roni

:
2001 Mazda Protege MP3
my new stainless exhaust manifold was just finished the other day at wagner motorsports!! along with a 2.5" downpipe to go with the 2.5" exhaust that was done back in march.

Attachments

• 061604.jpg
    061604.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 241
  • new_manifold.jpg
    new_manifold.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
yeah thats the same thing that went through my brain when i saw the pics. its freaking awesome.

yeah it's much more impressive than my old one.

Attachments

• old_manifold.jpg
    old_manifold.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 290
Hmm nice. But isn't your old one an equal length header? By looks it seems as if the new one is definately not equal length.

ddogg777 said:
Hmm nice. But isn't your old one an equal length header? By looks it seems as if the new one is definately not equal length.
let me compose my answer to this. it requires a couple of minutes of thought, and today's friday

It does look nice, but beware that thing glowed like crazy then caught fire on Kooldino's car. Don't think the spool mani's ever did that. I don't mean to be a dick, but after seeing it in action, those mani's are s***! You would of been better of staying with what you had or went with a cast one.

MAMotorsports said:
What was the back pressure VS the intake pressure?
Example 6psi of boost with 8psi of pack pressure in the mani..
How can you find out what the back pressure is?

Bigg Tim said:
It does look nice, but beware that thing glowed like crazy then caught fire on Kooldino's car. Don't think the spool mani's ever did that. I don't mean to be a dick, but after seeing it in action, those mani's are s***! You would of been better of staying with what you had or went with a cast one.
As far as I understand, my manifold and Kooldino's manifold are not that similar. Apparently, they aren't even made with the same material. And as far as I understand, there were other problems with Kooldino's manifold that he supposedly tried to fix before his dyno runs. I don't remember exactly what went on with that but I know that Wagner had to change suppliers after he made PaulMP3's and Kooldino's exhaust manifolds. Both those manifolds had some difficulty, but they were running quite a bit more boost than I am.

I know that my car is so much happier with the new manifold. The design of the old one might have been to blame for my problems, but it could have been something else.

As far as I discerned, I thought I could get a new manifold and that might possibly fix the bad boost creep and spiking I had previously. Basically, one step at a time, I have re-done my turbo setup with materials and parts I agree with in order to fix the myriad of problems that came with the car when I bought it.

ddogg777 said:
My interpretation:

Well the whole "equal length" idea has it's merits. However, with a turbo manifold with an external wastegate, the collector for the external wastegate needs to be taken into consideration. Also, the flow from each cylinder into the collector need to be taken into consideration (the length and direction, as well as the placement of the collector). So in theory, if it is providing an equal escape from each cylinder, it can function properly even if it's not completely equal length. I am more than willing to hear feedback from anyone here (even vendors) with their thoughts about my exhaust manifold.

looks good.

i just got my new one.. much heavy and thicker then the old one.

kooldino- did your catch fire from the exhaust leak? assuming ther was no leak=no fire?

Back