Ride smoothness over rough roads? 2014 with AWD

Desertsp

:
TBD
Realizing that suspension stiffness is part of what makes these so nice to drive on pavement, is the ride over rougher roads (paved or dirt) still decent? How much harsher is the ride than a Forester?

Does avoiding the GT with its bigger wheels, plus using more "pliable" tires make much difference, or would a suspension mod be needed to close the gap?

Thanks!

I drive a 16 Touring with 17. Ride can be bad. Have you ever heard the 'Thud' when driving on roads that are laid out in sections, as you cross from section to section you hear the imperfection. Another irritating trait is small speed breakers typically around schools / parking lots. My rear jumps up on it. It is never a smooth transition no matter the speed.

I think 2017 is more compliant. I do not know if its as irritating as gen1 specially in parking lot speeds where the tranny itself feels confused.

Realizing that suspension stiffness is part of what makes these so nice to drive on pavement, is the ride over rougher roads (paved or dirt) still decent? How much harsher is the ride than a Forester?

Does avoiding the GT with its bigger wheels, plus using more "pliable" tires make much difference, or would a suspension mod be needed to close the gap?

Thanks!

I've never driven a Forester, but I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee with Bilsteins that handled very well on pavement (about as stable as a CX5 in sweepers, not as good on transition/short and tight). It was much more accommodating on gravel and dirt roads. The CX5 feels just like a newer family car with a unibody on that.

Thank you both. I just drove one today and liked it a lot! Need to find a good busted up street for the next test drive, but it felt alright on minor roughness. A lot better than my old Corolla.

Back