Ride Quality with 19" Toyo Tires on GT

STE92VE

Zoom Zoom Zoom
:
2014 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Didn't know if I should post this in the dedicated tire section but this is my first SUV with a more aggressive tread than I've had on other vehicles and I'm not enamored with the feel on the highway. Not as smooth a ride as what I'm used to. Is this normal?

Also, I noticed that the valve stems just look like regular black rubber ones but on another family member's MZD3 (also with TPMS), they appear to be silver metallic. Any comments?

Concensus seems to be that the 19s don't ride any/much worse than the 17s on the lesser models, but the CX-5 does have a rather stiff/choppy ride (especially on city streets). It's the price you pay for a crossover that corners relatively flat and doesn't wallow in corners. But you should know that as it looks like you have a 2013 and a 2014!
As for the valve stems, Mazda doesn't use a traditional TPMS setup on the CX-5, but rather a less complicated one that takes its readings off the ABS sensor (I believe I've got that right), thereby eliminating the need for expensive TPMS tire valves. Read your owner's manual. It's all in there.

STE92VE,

Yes it is a harder ride. I took my kids down to grandma this weekend...about an 1 1/2 hours away. The kids did not like the back seat at all. Of course they are use to captains chairs of a honda odyssey EX with armrest and very cushion out seats. I do think it is a rougher ride but the stearing is so awesome and if feels very sporty to me. My younger one says it all about DAD and MOM and what they want...laughing of course when she says it. Lucky for them they don't ride to often anymore since they are teenagers now doing there own thing.

Concensus seems to be that the 19s don't ride any/much worse than the 17s on the lesser models, but the CX-5 does have a rather stiff/choppy ride (especially on city streets). It's the price you pay for a crossover that corners relatively flat and doesn't wallow in corners.

Yep, if ride quality is more important than handling to you then it may not be the right car. I often find myself noticing how bad the roads are, even recently paved ones no longer have the smooth as glass feel like they once did. I love the handling so it is worth it but there are still times when it gets old and I'd kill to have a super smooth ride.

And if you think it is rough on the test drive it won't get better.

IMHO, there's a difference between hard(firm) ride and ride quality. I'm coming out of a BMW E92 that had a very hard(firm) ride but the ride quality was excellent. I know the CX-5 is not a BMW (OK by me, saved over $10K from "comparable" vehicle) but the tread on the 19's is more aggressive (all-terrain compared to performance?) than I'm used to and I might just have to adjust. I love the ride of the CX-5 on the city streets since it's a much smoother ride than the BMW but it's the feel on the highway that I'll have to get used to.

Recently bought my '14 GT to replace an older 3-series BMW, and yes, there's quite a difference. I really don't mind it though and it's about what I expected. What I didn't expect was how well it handles for an SUV. I also appreciate sitting up higher, and being able to see over/past other vehicles. It was a true annoyance trying to pull the BMW out of a parking spot surrounded by trucks and SUVs.

Yep, if ride quality is more important than handling to you then it may not be the right car. I often find myself noticing how bad the roads are, even recently paved ones no longer have the smooth as glass feel like they once did. I love the handling so it is worth it but there are still times when it gets old and I'd kill to have a super smooth ride.

And if you think it is rough on the test drive it won't get better.
And it's another reason I gave up on switching to H&R lowering springs. There have been times when I'm carrying something loose or a box of tools in the rear and when I traverse a sharp bump I can hear the load rise up and fall with a muffled crash, kinda like a pickup truck bed!

IMHO, there's a difference between hard(firm) ride and ride quality. I'm coming out of a BMW E92 that had a very hard(firm) ride but the ride quality was excellent. I know the CX-5 is not a BMW (OK by me, saved over $10K from "comparable" vehicle) but the tread on the 19's is more aggressive (all-terrain compared to performance?) than I'm used to and I might just have to adjust. I love the ride of the CX-5 on the city streets since it's a much smoother ride than the BMW but it's the feel on the highway that I'll have to get used to.

i definitely noticed a softer ride when i switched to michelins from pirellis on my bmw.

maybe you can switch brands when it is time.

And it's another reason I gave up on switching to H&R lowering springs. There have been times when I'm carrying something loose or a box of tools in the rear and when I traverse a sharp bump I can hear the load rise up and fall with a muffled crash, kinda like a pickup truck bed!

Same here, I wasn't willing to use lowering springs knowing the negative impact on ride quality.

Didn't know if I should post this in the dedicated tire section but this is my first SUV with a more aggressive tread than I've had on other vehicles and I'm not enamored with the feel on the highway. Not as smooth a ride as what I'm used to. Is this normal?

Also, I noticed that the valve stems just look like regular black rubber ones but on another family member's MZD3 (also with TPMS), they appear to be silver metallic. Any comments?

I like the firm ride and being able to feel every bump on the road. Did you check your PSI? Make sure it's not overly inflated.

Back