Rexing V1LG Dashcam/Sensor Cover Mounting Pros & Cons

:
USA
:
2023 CX-50 PPT
Howdy--wanted a basic front/true rear dash cam, and recently got a good deal on a Rexing V1LG. The front portion is a not-that-tiny wedge shaped unit, and I want to make it as inconspicuous as possible. My front windshield has no (additional) tint.

I am thinking about mounting it on the sensor cover, and looking for input on the pros and cons of that decision. Factors:

--will hide the unit from outside better than direct windshield mount
--mounted lower on the sensor cover still provides unobstructed and proper span of view
--OEM slide-on mount uses 3M tape
--haven't been able to find an alternative compatible mount, including a clamp that uses the rearview mirror stem
--will be using MirrorTap for power
--seeing the unit display while in use is less critical, plus it has pretty poor angle viewing anyway (anything but dead straight on kinda sucks)
--Concern: During my tests, noticed a pretty heavy reflection in the dashcam footage of the center dash speaker cover. Not certain if this is due to this particular mount location or if that's just the nature of the windshield curve, or lighting conditions at the time.
--Concern: while still not terribly heavy, the front unit is definitely larger and heavier than a BlackVue or Thinkware model--unlikely but possible the the added weight might cause the sensor cover to loosen and/or break over time and cause rattling.

Any other pros or cons anyone can think of?

For reference, here is installation of this exact cam in a Mazda6 and on the windshield.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/car-electronics/427001-rexing-v1lg-dashcam-install.html

Thank you.....

Last edited:
Back