Rewired Fogs to run without headlights on

ok just a question, I know i'm res-erecting a dead thread here, but for those with this mod, do the fog lights kick off when High beams are turned on. Thats my only requirement. Id love to be able to run the fogs and parks no headlights for extreme fog and blizzard driving conditions, but I have no need for them to run with high beams engaged. This after all is a functional mod.

ok just a question, I know i'm res-erecting a dead thread here, but for those with this mod, do the fog lights kick off when High beams are turned on. Thats my only requirement. Id love to be able to run the fogs and parks no headlights for extreme fog and blizzard driving conditions, but I have no need for them to run with high beams engaged. This after all is a functional mod.

Good question!

I just went into the garage to see how the fogs functioned when the high beams were activated. Regardless of what position the lights are in (off, parking only, headlights, auto) the fogs go off when the high beam switch is activated. Why, safety or power consumption concerns?

Interesting find...with fogs and parking lights on, activating the high beams turns off the fogs. But the high headlight beams do not come on. No flash-to-pass with the fogs and parking lights on. Not sure if this is a result of the mod.

Hope this helps.

ok great I was just insuring doing that mod would not keep fogs on with high beams. I am going to rewire mine to the park lights. Out here it is illegal on the road to have more than two sets of driving beams on (ie headlights and a set of fogs) or high and low beams. Plus in high beam mode fog lights have no real application.

Last edited:
Good question!

I just went into the garage to see how the fogs functioned when the high beams were activated. Regardless of what position the lights are in (off, parking only, headlights, auto) the fogs go off when the high beam switch is activated. Why, safety or power consumption concerns?

Interesting find...with fogs and parking lights on, activating the high beams turns off the fogs. But the high headlight beams do not come on. No flash-to-pass with the fogs and parking lights on. Not sure if this is a result of the mod.

Hope this helps.

I have a 2011 touring model so foglights did not come factory installed. I had to install them myself from the OEM Kit. The OEM foglight kit is different from the GT factory installed Fogs. For instance the wire colors on the relay are different from the factory installed and the relay box does not have the heated seats relays - only Fan1 & Fan2 (no fogs relay of course) I have attached the manuals for both the harness install and the fogs install. The harness has the electrical schematic so I was hoping someone could look at it and advise how to do this mod for people like me who had installed the OEM foglight kit. Also I was hoping someone could figure out how to make the mod work so the fogs stay on with the high beams or at least allow the highs to come on when fogs and park are on.

Attachments

• CX-9 2011 Foglights manual.pdf
    605.1 KB · Views: 501
  • Pages from CX-9 2011 Foglights Harness manual 1-4.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 501
  • Pages from CX-9 2011 Foglights Harness manual 5-8.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 423
  • Pages from CX-9 2011 Foglights Harness manual 9-12.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 436
  • Pages from CX-9 2011 Foglights Harness manual 13-16.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 436
Well I decided to figure out how to do this mod myself since nobody seems to be answering. Actually it was quite simple. On page 14 where you are supposed to connect the Red/Blue wire to the Red/Blue wire on the 40 Pin connector, you should actually connect it to the Black/Yellow wire on the 6 pin connector Pin #4-A. This is a switched power supply. You can now turn on the Fogs (with the ignition on) independent of the Lows. For those of you who rather have it connected to a constant power supply so the fogs can be turned on with the ignition off, Just connect to the Red/Blue Wire on the 16 pin Connector Pin #5-D. I have attached the instructions on how to locate and both wires.

Attachments

• Pages from Gentex Autodim Mirror.pdf
    149.6 KB · Views: 536
If anyone is interested in a simple way (based on your wiring skills of course) to do this here goes:

(May have to have heated seats for this..)

On small (4 relay) box in very front of engine compartment above fans.
Open top of box, detach from front, and remove bottom cover. Of the four relays, the two SMALLER ones are: fogs (right one viewed from front) and heated seats (2nd from left viewed from front). The pink wire on the SEAT relay provides ignition power (what you want) the green w/red wire on the Fogs relay provides switched power from the headlight relay ( Hate that!). I cut the green wire far enough back that I could splice into the pink wire. Be sure to insulate the left over stub from the green wire. Now the fog relay is "hot" when ignition is on instead of when headlights are on. Done.

(If you don't have the pink wire due to no heated seats..all you need to do is get and ignition source wire to this relay instead)

Now your fogs will come on with ignition and still function on/off from the stock switch (which provides the relay ground thus eliminating the need for an add-on switch)

Cheers.

Andy

Quick two part questions.

1. I have a 2011 cx-9 GT with heated seats. I see the box you speaking of but only see 3 relays. 2 are for fans and one is the fog. There is an empty portion but no relay even though i have heated seats. In the inside lid of the box, it shows those 3 relays but an empty relay where you mentioned was a relay for heated seats. Since mine is missing the relay, does the pink wire still legit for tapping into?

2. Someone mentioned that after the mod, when you have the parking lights on and fog lights on, the high beam flash don't work. Can some confirm? Also if the parking lights is on and fog lights are off, does high beam flash work then?

Thanks!

If anyone is interested in a simple way (based on your wiring skills of course) to do this here goes:

(May have to have heated seats for this..)

On small (4 relay) box in very front of engine compartment above fans.
Open top of box, detach from front, and remove bottom cover. Of the four relays, the two SMALLER ones are: fogs (right one viewed from front) and heated seats (2nd from left viewed from front). The pink wire on the SEAT relay provides ignition power (what you want) the green w/red wire on the Fogs relay provides switched power from the headlight relay ( Hate that!). I cut the green wire far enough back that I could splice into the pink wire. Be sure to insulate the left over stub from the green wire. Now the fog relay is "hot" when ignition is on instead of when headlights are on. Done.

(If you don't have the pink wire due to no heated seats..all you need to do is get and ignition source wire to this relay instead)

Now your fogs will come on with ignition and still function on/off from the stock switch (which provides the relay ground thus eliminating the need for an add-on switch)

Cheers.

Andy

AZ-CX9,

Thanks for posting this. After some research I decided to execute. For complete DIY instructions with pics, see attached.

I have not experienced any side effects so far.

Cris

Attachments

• CX9- DRLs_.pdf
    389.4 KB · Views: 475
AZ-CX9,

Thanks for posting this. After some research I decided to execute. For complete DIY instructions with pics, see attached.

Cris

Cris, thanks for the very nice DIY. This looks very easy to do, just as the last person wrote, but the photos are far more useful to me than words can ever be.
I have been wanting daytime running lights since I bought my CX-9 in 2007, since I drive to Canada all the time and now I won't have to remember to turn on my headlights.
Looks like the time is now to finally do this simple mod.

No problem. I have my 08 for 1 year and have been wanting to do this for some time. Primarily for safety reasons, but it looks great!

It easy to do, but I recommend having a knife (not too sharp) to help with the (4) relay clips and a very shard razor to strip the pink wire. The knife is also useful when creating the eye in the pink wire for the red/green connection. A flashlight was also helpful when cutting with precision. Good luck...

AZ-CX9,

Cris

Can you verify this:

Someone mentioned that after the mod, when you have the parking lights on and fog lights on, the high beam flash don't work. Can some confirm? Also if the parking lights is on and fog lights are off, does high beam flash work then?

Also I have a 2011 cx-9 GT with heated seats. I see the box you speaking of but only see 3 relays. 2 are for fans and one is the fog. There is an empty portion but no relay even though i have heated seats. In the inside lid of the box, it shows those 3 relays but an empty relay where you mentioned was a relay for heated seats. Since mine is missing the relay for heated seats, does the pink wire still legit for tapping into?

Last edited:
Tom8,

In both instances the high beams work.

It sounds like the wiring is different for the '11 model. The seat warmer relay must be located somewhere else. The key is to tap into the ignition power source so the fog lights can turn on. I would research wiring diagrams for your car to get that ignition power source since its not conveniently located like 08 model.

Tom8,

In both instances the high beams work.

It sounds like the wiring is different for the '11 model. The seat warmer relay must be located somewhere else. The key is to tap into the ignition power source so the fog lights can turn on. I would research wiring diagrams for your car to get that ignition power source since its not conveniently located like 08 model.

Thanks for the info!

Anyone out there with an 2011 cx-9 that did this? If so, how or where did you tap into a hot wire? It looks like in the 2011, the relay for the heated seats are no longer needed as it's part of the memory seats. Trying to find a hot wire that i can tap into when the engine is on.

Last edited:
Cris, thanks for the very nice DIY. This looks very easy to do, just as the last person wrote, but the photos are far more useful to me than words can ever be.
I have been wanting daytime running lights since I bought my CX-9 in 2007, since I drive to Canada all the time and now I won't have to remember to turn on my headlights.
Looks like the time is now to finally do this simple mod.

Well bill42 - Your attitude has changed quite a bit since the following post from 3 years ago. Decided to "act like a teenager, did you?

" 04-11-2010, 08:59 PM #56
bill42
CX-9 GT

Enough acting like teenagers! You guys are all driving a car designed for old farts with 2 or 3 kids. I don't think anyone will think you are cool if you separate your driving lights from the headlights or if you drive around on dirt roads with a canoe on your roof. None of us are EVER going to look cool driving a CX-9! Case in point- I showed a young hip co-worker who is half my age a picture of my CX-9. She said, "Ew. Why did you buy a minivan?"

As I said like a year ago, I do want my driving lights to be on without headlights or tail lights because I drive in places where it is illegal to not have daytime running lights. The alternative is to keep all dozen lightbulbs turned on all day long which is pretty silly. But what is more silly is that 5 years from now people are still going to be reading this thread and they are all going to laugh at us for acting like idiots. "

08BLKCX9 ,
Thanks a lot for the pics , very self explanatory.
Just did the mod myself , i just got a used 2008 Black CX-9 GT , and wanted to do this mod , since where i am , it doesn't matter how many sets of lights you have on at night.
Now i can turn the fogs on , no matter what lights are on or off , from the fogs stalk swith, but noticed the fogs still turn off , when the Hi beams are on.
Where can i tap so that the fogs do not turn off even with hi beams ?
Thnx ,

08BLKCX9 ,
Thanks a lot for the pics , very self explanatory.
Just did the mod myself , i just got a used 2008 Black CX-9 GT , and wanted to do this mod , since where i am , it doesn't matter how many sets of lights you have on at night.
Now i can turn the fogs on , no matter what lights are on or off , from the fogs stalk swith, but noticed the fogs still turn off , when the Hi beams are on.
Where can i tap so that the fogs do not turn off even with hi beams ?
Thnx ,

Sorry, I don't have an answer. I actually did not notice this, but in my opinion, its a very small downside to having this mod done.

Even if someone has an answer, I would probably not mess with it anymore.

I see why people want to do this but I do have one question about it. My wife had a 2007 Jeep Commander and all I had to do was go to the dealer and have them activate the Day Time Running Lights, all that did was run the high beams at half power. Has anyone asked or looked into seeing if the dealer can activate a feature like this? I read the 5 pages of this tread and may have missed that section, but it is just a thought before I complete this mod.

I see why people want to do this but I do have one question about it. My wife had a 2007 Jeep Commander and all I had to do was go to the dealer and have them activate the Day Time Running flashlight, all that did was run the high beams at half power. Has anyone asked or looked into seeing if the dealer can activate a feature like this? I read the 5 pages of this tread and may have missed that section, but it is just a thought before I complete this mod.

hello friend do you make use of led lights as day time running lights? I am looking to get new pair of led lights for my jeep. Can you give some useful advice? Waiting for reply and thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
hello friend do you make use of led lights as day time running lights? I am looking to get new pair of led lights for my jeep. Can you give some useful advice? Waiting for reply and thanks in advance :)

Sorry, I no longer own the jeep, and had the DRL turned on by the dealer.

Question about the switch harness

I have a 2011 touring model so foglights did not come factory installed. I had to install them myself from the OEM Kit. The OEM foglight kit is different from the GT factory installed Fogs. For instance the wire colors on the relay are different from the factory installed and the relay box does not have the heated seats relays - only Fan1 & Fan2 (no fogs relay of course) I have attached the manuals for both the harness install and the fogs install. The harness has the electrical schematic so I was hoping someone could look at it and advise how to do this mod for people like me who had installed the OEM foglight kit. Also I was hoping someone could figure out how to make the mod work so the fogs stay on with the high beams or at least allow the highs to come on when fogs and park are on.

Hi. I just bought a 2012 cx-9 and also installed the factory fog lights. how did you connect the wires in the switch? my switch has a black wire in terminal D - the instructions say that there should be a blue/yellow wire there or no wire at all.
thanks!

Back