Reverse lockout trouble

Tw1g007

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
I have a 2002 with a trans from a 626. Loving the taller gears and the better mileage, however it's developed a simple but annoying problem.

Whenever I'm trying to downshift from 5th to 4th the thing wants to slide back into Reverse. Obviously that's a problem and I'm getting sick of hearing a grind from something I'm not even trying to do. Basically it isn't locking me out of reverse when I'm moving like it should. Any ideas as to why? Could it be the shifter boot bushing thing?

The 626 trans may lack the lockout feature that Protege transmissions have.

Worn bushings probably worsen the issue though.

It does have the lockout, it's just not working properly lol. I know it has lockout because half the time I have to persuade it into reverse when I park.

Where could I find a shifter rebuild kit? Stock would be fine

If you suspect the lockout, you can get it from the dealer but its inside the trans on the h plate assembly. There is a user on the classifieds trying to sell kartboy shifter bushings. Id try those before taking the trans apart.
Grinding could be bad synchro or clutch though.

The grinding is from the damn thing trying to slip into reverse when it's going forward at 45-60 mph. But link to the kart boy bushings? I want to start small, I don't want to deal with taking the trans out.

Back