Returning MSP to mostly stock

:
2012 3 S GT 6sp
I'm buying a 2003 MSP next week and it as an MBC and SplitSecond controller. Is there anything that needs to be done to remove these and if they are removed do I need to tell the computer anything? It has a FMIC which I would like to keep on but I'd like to return to stock boost (and maybe get the forged wastegate if necessary). the transmission blew on the last owner and it has a new transmission but it's running about 10psi. I'm not sure if the computer reflash has been done but I'd like to get that done too if it needs it. Not looking to have this as a tuner car so I'd like to make it a little more reliable with less boost. Thanks.

My advice would be to remove the mbc, but keep the split second. Especially if you want to keep the fmic. Just load the super map, greatly increases driveability.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Thanks for the quick reply. Just search super map on here? I've never done any tuning of any sort but I'm sure there's some sort of DIY. Does the super map lower the boost back to 7ish? And for removing the MBC, is it just a simply remove and you're done?

The split second only controls the fuel while in boost. The actual boost level is controlled by your mbc. So removing it or turning it all the way down will revert to stock boost.

The super map can be found on the first page of the stickied ssafc thread at the top of the msp performance subforum.

The mbc will need to be replaced with a continuous piece of hose. Don't just remove it, haha.

The Forge (not forged) wastegate is not necessary if your stock wastegate functions properly. And you can run 10psi just fine, you won't damage your transmission at that power level. 10psi really isn't that much, I run 12 on one of my MSPs with a stock block and it runs fine. It all depends on your tune and supporting mods, since you have the FMIC and the AFC you have nothing to worry about only running 10lbs. I would just leave the car as it is, these cars need all the power they can get. And don't bother with the reflash, you already have the AFC, flashing the ECU won't help you. Not to mention it has more than likely already been done.

Okay, thanks. If it's fine at 10 then I may as well keep it there. Is the upgraded welded diff even necessary at <10psi? I've read the diff and the exhaust are not that strong so I've been looking around for the upgraded parts so that if/when they break I know where to go to get a new one. With the AFC (seller said he'd give me the software to run it), can I see what tunes are on there or if I'm worried about it should I just take it to a shop so they can look at the tune?

You can download the software for free online, most shops won't know how to use the software as it is old but they can probably figure it out. There are maps you can download for free on this site that you can load to the AFC but they are custom to other people's cars so running the base 'super stock' map for a stock MSP is probably best for your car. The welded diff was something people did in the past because the differentials would fail but it has become less common. Basically, if the diff has lasted this long there is no reason to expect it to fail now. They did revise the differential 7-8 times since they first used them in the 03 models, the 03.5s had drastically reduced failure rates. I would assume the old transmission failed due to age and mileage, not because of the boost level. I am running 16psi with a forged motor through a stock trans with a stock diff and am not worried about failure whatsoever. The exhaust may fail but I would not say it is common, upgrading the motor mounts to keep the motor from moving excessively will help keep the exhaust welds from breaking.

Thanks for the info and quick responses. Wasn't expecting so much activity for a 14 year old car, it's nice there's still a lot of support for the car!

This place has become pretty desolate the past year or so, not like it was when I joined years ago. But I try to stay active when I can.

Back