Repositioning Front License Plate

Since it's a legal requirement in most states you'd think car manufacturers would build the plate holder into the bumper.

Since it's a legal requirement in most states you'd think car manufacturers would build the plate holder into the bumper.
My 2000 BMW designed an interchangeable center piece on front bumper which can either hold a license plate or without. I keep the front plate on there since it looks nice and it won’t block the air entry for cooling.

I thought Mazda has designed a factory front plate holder for gen-2 CX-5?

Compared to this, our CX-5 front plates look pretty good

1618769292440.jpeg

- Mark

Here it is! The problem is the parking sensor blinders aren’t 100% effective as my sensor is still triggered every once in a while.

Fortunately, CravenSpeed has an “outside driver” mount (DLT-AA900) that doesn’t require any blinders. They’re sending me that and a prepaid return envelope this week. :)

Attachments

• 0B3D3D92-3E62-4601-85A3-906960A47795.jpeg
    0B3D3D92-3E62-4601-85A3-906960A47795.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 153
I was doing some reading, and certain front plate states will give you a waiver if you apply for it. Check yours.

Did you attempt to mount it? I am curious if the thread size is the same for the Subaru and Mazda.
I did not try to mount it because I could see that would potentially interfere with sonar. I will try to look this weekend at the tow hook thread sizes.

I went with the tow hook option on mine, I had to add a screw to immobilize it, the mount kept coming loose while driving.

I agree! Well, maybe not in the garbage, the trunk is better just in case you get pulled over for no front plate.

I've been driving in Illinois since 1986 and not one of my vehicles have had a plate on the front, Yes, Illinois does require a front plate. In all that time the only word from LEO on this was a warning ticket on my car in a parking lot. A warning to get a plate OR ELSE. Nothing ever came of this OR ELSE and that's been more than 15 years ago.
In Chicago they will pull you over for no front plate. Especially now with all the drive-by and highway shootings they want cars to be easily identified from both ends.

Back in the 90's I was pulled over for no front plates a couple of times so threw in the towel and quit fighting the power. But I totally agree they look awful and don't help the aerodynamics either.

Hell, I got a ticket for not having a front license plate, when I was parked on the street in Park Ridge, IL. Dealing with the city was such a pain, that I have used front plates ever since that incident.

I think one thing to consider is that the front plate provides some protection to the front of the car from people who parallel park by feel. I have a black metal frame on mine and you can see where it's taken many a bump but protected the bumper from damage. I've been thinking about buying one of those Weather Tech soft frames for even more protection. It's sorta ugly but adds some extra protection from careless parkers.

I think one thing to consider is that the front plate provides some protection to the front of the car from people who parallel park by feel. I have a black metal frame on mine and you can see where it's taken many a bump but protected the bumper from damage. I've been thinking about buying one of those Weather Tech soft frames for even more protection. It's sorta ugly but adds some extra protection from careless parkers.
"protection to the front of the car from people who parallel park by feel"

THIS is exactly why I always park my cars in BFE whenever I park in ANY public lot. I don't mind walking a bit more for the extra peace of mind.

I'm sorry but you're license plate and frame are not going to protect your bumper much and I certainly wouldn't count on it for such.

YMMV

I have a black metal frame on mine and you can see where it's taken many a bump but protected the bumper from damage.
Interesting. You sure it's not transferring the impact to your license plate bracket and marring the paint underneath? I was thinking of getting one of those tow hook plate adapters so the plate sticks out a little further at least.

Back