Replace the inserts, not the entire wipers

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring Premium
As I did some research on replacement wipers for my 2017 CX-5 I ran into a video that shows how to replace only the rubber inserts (refills). Most of the time the entire wiper did not go bad, but rather it is the rubber insert that is no good:
HERE is that video.

Definitely makes sense to replace the wiper insert instead of the wiper, it's the only part that wears and less than half the price of a wiper assembly.

This is really really helpful. I'd much rather replace this than the entire blade if it's not damaged or not worn at all.

Thanks!

As I did some research on replacement wipers for my 2017 CX-5 I ran into a video that shows how to replace only the rubber inserts (refills). Most of the time the entire wiper did not go bad, but rather it is the rubber insert that is no good:
HERE is that video.
For my gen-1 CX-5 I’ll definitely get rubber inserts to replace the worn ones.

But there’re a lot of people dissatisfying the performance of these OEM beam-type wipers on gen-2 CX-5, especially during the snowing and icing conditions.

2017 CX-5 GT wipers suck

For my gen-1 CX-5 I’ll definitely get rubber inserts to replace the worn ones.

But there’re a lot of people dissatisfying the performance of these OEM beam-type wipers on gen-2 CX-5, especially during the snowing and icing conditions.

2017 CX-5 GT wipers suck

I haven't had any issues with mine and I live in the great white north.

No issues at all.

Perhaps I'm lucky.

Also - I remember when I was at the carshow, they told me the 2019 CX5 had wiper heaters or some kind of heaters in the windshield to prevent snow buildup - does anyone know if that's true?

Also - I remember when I was at the carshow, they told me the 2019 CX5 had wiper heaters or some kind of heaters in the windshield to prevent snow buildup - does anyone know if that's true?

If it is true, they didn't include it on my 2019 CX-5 GTR

I haven't had any issues with mine and I live in the great white north.

No issues at all.

Perhaps I'm lucky.

You can read the thread I posted earlier and see how many complaints about gen-2 OEM beam-type wipers. There’s a video showing the very poor wiper performance during winter condition in very first post. Unfortunately the video is no longer available after the server upgrade.

On 2019 / 2020 CX-5 GT-R and Sig. there’re heating element wires, similar to rear window defogger, run through the bottom portion of the windshield. It’s called “windshield wiper de-icer“.

If it is true, they didn't include it on my 2019 CX-5 GTR
This’s from 2019 CX-5 sales brochure:

FBA1CB0F-7F6C-4BD7-B073-95B54903FACE.png

On 2019 / 2020 CX-5 GT-R and Sig. there’re heating element wires, similar to rear window defogger, run through the bottom portion of the windshield. It’s called “windshield wiper de-icer“.

My 2019 CX-5 GS has the wiper de-icer on the front.

Definitely makes sense to replace the wiper insert instead of the wiper, it's the only part that wears and less than half the price of a wiper assembly.
I don't agree, unless you're in a weather environment where you have to change wipers constantly. I have given up on changing the inserts only, as I have found that over time the actual wiper blades lose tension and the ability to keep the rubber evenly on the windshield. I have found that the best improvement comes from replacing the entire wiper.

Interesting. What year is your CX? I've never had any problems replacing just the insert on my previous vehicle (Lexus). I am still on the original wiper blades but will check the performance of the inserts when I replace them. No complaints on wiper performance so far.

The heating elements are in the windshield at the bottom where the wipers rest.

HERE is that video.
Thank you. Actually, inserting the refill into this blade design is much easier compared to blades for other Asian cars. For my Mazda 3 2013, the only option is to change the whole blade. I am glad that Mazda is now providing the option to change just the the wiper insert and made design change to make it easy for replacement.

I don't agree, unless you're in a weather environment where you have to change wipers constantly. I have given up on changing the inserts only, as I have found that over time the actual wiper blades lose tension and the ability to keep the rubber evenly on the windshield. I have found that the best improvement comes from replacing the entire wiper.
Have you tried aftermarket wiper assemblies, or do you stick with OEM?

I got my 2014 CX-5 in August, 2013. It has 82k miles and I've replaced the wiper inserts once about 2-3 years ago. No streaking. Ever. I live in Minnesota - we have snow.

Thank you. Actually, inserting the refill into this blade design is much easier compared to blades for other Asian cars. For my Mazda 3 2013, the only option is to change the whole blade. I am glad that Mazda is now providing the option to change just the the wiper insert and made design change to make it easy for replacement.
You should always be able to get rubber inserts for your factory wipers on Mazda’s unless the car is old and Mazda doesn’t carry them anymore.

2014 Mazda3
$9.44 WIPER BLADE REFILL, LEFT
Part #BBP2-67-333
$11.39 WIPER BLADE REFILL, RIGHT
Part #BHS3-67-333

Last edited:
The Mazda part numbers for the two front wiper inserts (refills) are:
TK48-67-333 lists for $8.86 (left)
TK78-67-333 lists for $8.17 (right)
G22E-67-333 lists for $8.10 (rear)
For gen-1 2013 ~ 2016.5 CX-5 Denso wipers with traditional J hook, the part numbers for wiper inserts / rubber refills are:

GS1D-67-333 - $8.33 MSRP (Front driver side)
KD53-67-333 - $8.16 MSRP (Front passenger side)
G22E-67-333 - $8.10 MSRP (Rear)

Yes I use wiper inserts all the time unless they’re not available.

I bought my '19 in June of 2019 and still have the original wiper blades. No issues yet. They work perfectly.

Back