Removing top storage door...

ccarmichael

:
03 Protege5, 08 Mazda5
This may seem odd, but I need to remove the door on the storage bin that sits on top of the centre console - where the nav display would be if I had it.

Can I do this without removing a million other dash pieces?
attachment.php

m6dashdoor.jpg

Thanks to both of you. I'm not really keen on taking out the whole console at this point just to remove the compartment door. Could anyone tell if it is safe/advisable to drill a small opening in the floor of the compartment at the back left corner? How much space is there before I hit something?

The center console only takes about five minutes to remove-
short version-
unscrew shift knob
pull console base out (no screws, from cupholder to ash tray)
- - open cup holder & grab on passenger side then pull straight up
- - unplug power cords to lights for ash tray & lighter
remove two screws at bottom of center stack
replace shift knob to prevent scratching of radio face
pull center stack out, start at bottom & pull towards you

takes longer to type than to do....
many write ups with great pics...

there is room below stack, but very little, and ac vent tubing is just below, not something to put a hole in! ALso, to route wires there will be much easier with console removed

Ok, better safe than sorry - I'll pull the console. One final question - How do I get the first step done with an auto transmission knob? It doesn't just spin off, does it?

Alas, I've not completed this process on a normal 6 with an auto, only on my Speed6. I'll have to leave the fine details up to your search skills or a more knowledgeable poster to contribute.

Thanks to both of you. I'm not really keen on taking out the whole console at this point just to remove the compartment door. Could anyone tell if it is safe/advisable to drill a small opening in the floor of the compartment at the back left corner? How much space is there before I hit something?

When you get it out, you'll see that you really can't drill a hole in that location. The only spot to drill a hole in the box is in the middle of the back wall, there is a big hole behind the storage compartment that leads into the rear of the dashboard. I just did this a week or so ago to run cables for my Dashhawk and iPod into the storage case...trust me, it's really easy to pull everything out (excepting that auto knob, don't know about it either unfortunately), taking it all apart, drilling the hole, wiring and putting it back together is an hour or so if you're being careful. Good luck!

Thanks all for your help! I discovered yesterday that the auto knob twists off just like the manual so I should be good to go this weekend when I give it try.

Colin

Back