Removing Tint & Minor Concerns

InquisitorRho

:
2002 Protege 5
Hi guys,

So, I'm attempting to import my Protege 5 to Canada, and one of the many issues with the vehicle is that the windshield is tinted. I can't tell by looking at it whether or not the windshield's tint is the result of something that had been applied, or if the windshield was built that way. Does anyone have any good info on this? As it determines whether I need to replace the windshield entirely, or simply remove a film from it.
Also, the my Protege has a habit of chewing through oil. I suspect something is wrong with the engine, leading to it consuming too much oil. But it might be something else? I don't know, as this is more of a minor annoyance than anything serious. But I would still like to hear what you guys have to say on the matter.
Aside from those two issues, everything else (leaking caliper, sway bars, ball joint, dead running light, etc.) I have the information to handle (from this forum, too!).
Although if anyone knows a cheap Protege 5 parts dealer in the Vancouver area I would be happy to hear about that!

Thank you (or sorry) in advance.

Windshield tint should just be a film applied to most likely the inside, but possibly to the outside. See if you can peel an edge up, and if its tucked too far in you can always put a little slice in the film to get it started. Take a hair dryer, and it should just pull right off. Youll have a bunch of leftover adhesive to clean up.

Proteges tend to burn oil. Its either youre oil rings or valve stem seals that are leading to youre oil consumption. It could be leaking externally, dont know if you've looked.

Thank you for the help Jackie chan!

I'll be sure to do what I can to locate the source of the oil leakage, although if you're right and it's mostly seals, then that's good news.

181224 miles or so.
I've never witnessed it, but according to others it does sometimes have smokey exhaust on startup.

Among many things to consider is whether bringing your car to Canada is more cost-effective than selling it and buying one here. Prices for the Protege5 range from 500 to 5000 here. I bought mine in November for 3100 (5 speed with 123000km/74000mi). Also, looking online at Mazda info about factory windshield tint will tell you what may have been done at the factory and where it may be legal.
Welcome

Craigs list had a P5 in Vancouver that came from Quebec for sale for 500.00

Back