Removing side sills

solort

:
2004 Mazda3 S 4dr 5sp Solar Yellow
Does anyone have a how-to for removing side sills on a Mazda3 with 17s? I hope to be able to take them off for autocrossing, and reinstall easily afterwards (if possible). Thanks for any assistance, Clay

They are the painted plastic on the bottom of the car below the doors that flair behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels between the wheel wells that come with the 17in wheels on the Sports Appearance package.

I haven't crawled under the car to verify (too freaking cold!), but I'm guessing there's a bolt/screw or 3 in the front wheel well and maybe a tab under the car near the rear wheel.
Given the relatively large gap between the trim and the rear wheel well (at least on mine) I'm guessing there's a bunch of slide-locks holding the rest up.

Why would you need to take them off for autox? I haven't seen a need... (mostly since it's a class-changing mod)

Usually these are attached with Christmas tree type push-pins every 6 inches or so. I can't say for sure on the 3, but I work for a supplier that makes sills and this is how they attach on everything I have seen.

The 4 door can run the smaller and lighter 16x6.5 wheels if you take off the side sills (17s and side sills are package on 4 door).

By side sills are you really refering to what we call in America...side skirts? What country are you from?

I call them side sills because that's the name Mazda gave them in the brochure (side sill extensions). I am made in USA. Where are you from?

Washington...I think we are still confused at what you mean by side sill extensions then. Do you have a picture or a link to the piece you are refering to ?

Maybe it's just you. :rolleyes:

It's that long stretch of plastic trim that extends from the trailing end of the front wheel-well to the leading end of the rear wheel-well.

To make it even easier, it's the last painted part you see between the bottom of the doors and the ground... Standard on hatches, optional on sedans.

major error has a point. if something "fastens or clips" (I believe that is correct verbage) onto your car, and you take it off, you'll be in a mod class. Odds are you don't want that. that's why you have to leave your spare tire in and stuff.

I know exactly what part he is refering to but I wasnt the only one confused....they are more widely referred to as side skirts...just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same part. I dont see what that has to do with wheel fitment issues though.

major error has a point. if something "fastens or clips" (I believe that is correct verbage) onto your car, and you take it off, you'll be in a mod class. Odds are you don't want that. that's why you have to leave your spare tire in and stuff.
The only way around that is if you make all the changes between one trim package and another. There's a grid on MazdaUSA somewhere that lays out all the options fit together.

Spare/jack can come out in any class.

Last edited:

Actually, I've run SCCA Solo events for many years, including many National Tours and several Nationals. In stock class, you can remove the spare, and most serious competetors do.
Also, the 2004 4 door S models came standard with 16in wheels AND without the factory side skirts. The Sport Appearance Package adds side skirts and 17in wheels. SO.... in stock class, you can convert your car to one without the Sport Appearance Package if you remove the side skirts and run 16in wheels, which I would rather run. If I removed the side sills on a 5 door, THEN I would be bumped out of stock class, because all 5 door S models have side sills (and 17s).

I'm just curious about how hard it would be to remove them before a national event, and then replace them afterwards.....

Latest posts

Back