Removing Polymer Sealant from Plastic Trim (Success Story - Magic Eraser)

brownbearuva

2020 CX-5 Touring
A few months ago, I mistakenly applied Jesscar Powerlock sealant to all of the exterior plastic trim on my CX-5 (2020, touring, machine gray metallic). The sealant left the trademark white residue all over the black plastic trim, and it looked terrible. I tried using dish soap, rubbing alcohol, microfiber + elbow grease, and nothing worked. Then, after extensive research, I saw people were saying that Mr. Clean Magic Erasers could do the trick. I tried using a magic eraser + water (being careful not to abrade the paintwork next to the trim), and voila, the trim looks 95% as good as new again. I also used a regular pencil eraser for the harder-to-reach areas, with decent success.

Just wanted to put this out there as I didn't see any threads mention the specific sealant/type of sealant I used.

Love those magic erasers. I don't know how they work or what's in them, but I keep finding new uses for them. Brilliant.

Magic erasers are just melamine foam blocks. They're a slightly abrasive sponge - the slight abrasiveness is what makes them such good cleaners. I bought them in bulk from AliExpress about a year ago, and I use them from almost everything. Cleaning sinks, fish tanks, bathtub/shower, shoes, etc.

Glad things worked out for you. I would have been curious if a product like:
Mothers 06112 Back-to-Black Trim & Plastic Restorer

Would have worked as well.
In my experience, Back-to-Black just corrects the appearance of wax (haven't tried with polymer sealant) on plastic and once the Back-to-Black has worn off, you can see the wax again. However, applying Back-to-Black before waxing prevents the wax from sticking to the plastic.

Back