Remote starters

Planning on getting a remote starter for my car..........Push of a button and the car goes zoom !!
not those S2000 ones..........The ones I can start my car in the comfort of my own home........
Heres the question.............If I do get one of those.......do you think it will void the warranty ??

don't think it willl..... and i hope not since i haveone... but if worser comes to worse... get it removed when you need "warranty" work done to it.

You should be safe in having a remote starter installed. Warranties only get voided if the aftermarket product is directly responsible for whatever warranty work you need done.

Just make sure to use the remote starter properly(I know for manuals there is a bit more involved in getting it to work) and you should be fine.

What Brand?

Are there any recomendations as to what brand of starter? I've been thinking about getting one of these for the winter.

Do they change the use of the standard remote? I just want to leave the starter remote on my window sill and start the car in the morning then use my regular door lock remote the rest of the day.

Thanks for the reply guys......
zio.......since you have one....is it two seperate remote now ?? one for keyless entry from mazda and the other for the starter ??

I have worked at Circuit City for about 3 yrs. The only thing I wouldnt recommend are those remote starters that come with the video. They last for all of about 4 months. I havent had any problems with Viper alarms and starters as long as you have someone that knows what they are doing when installing. Just my .02.

MIKE

okay, while we're on the topic, I always wanted to ask... If you use a remote starter on a MT car, do you just not ever park with it in gear? Also, I'm assuming you'd have to bypass the cutoff switch that requires the clutch to be in to start the car, right? :confused:

I dont know the answer to your question.......but I know that when you get remote starters there are two different kind you can get....one for AT cars and the other for MT cars.....

If I do get one of those.......do you think it will void the warranty ??

No, unless the problem you're claiming on your warranty was actually damaged by the remote starter or the installer who did it. I did security and accessories for over 10 years, and I've had to fight these claims several times by dealers who told people that they were going to have to pay for repairs that should've been covered.

as long as you have someone that knows what they are doing when installing.

There's no possible way to stress this point enough. When dealing with things like security wiring, ESPECIALLY a remote starter, the amount of liability involved is huge. We're talking about wiring into your ignition system, electrical system, brake triggers, and all kinds of electrical connections.

If you use a remote starter on a MT car, do you just not ever park with it in gear?

If you've ever seen a MT car with remote start try to start while it's in gear, then you'll understand the need for the correct product as well as a competent installer.

you'd have to bypass the cutoff switch that requires the clutch to be in to start the car, right?

Sure, or it just wouldn't start.

there are two different kind you can get....one for AT cars and the other for MT cars.....

I've always used Clifford for a MT, the same unit for both. It gets set up different at the install time for MT mode. I left the industry before Compustar got really big, so I don't know much about them.

Thanks sttl013......Just wish you live near me so you can do my installation........haha..........

Its hard to find a trusted installer these days........damn........dont know what to do now.....:confused:

Damn it.........But than again I got my car in March......didnt think about remote starters back than........but now since Winter is coming........might want to get one.......

Would be best to get a all in one package. Go ahead and get an alarm/starter for the car. There are several good ones out there. I got a Clarion 2-way system for my car, also these new 2-way systems are very nice. Already caught several people bumping into my car and I know about it as my key chain beeps at me.

You could do it with just a remote start and keep your current with 2 key chains like you said. Also when you go shoping or something in the dead on winter it is nice to start the car while at the register as well. Just look for something with the features you want. All though most of them all do the same things now. Remote Start, Leave Engine Started while taking key outta egnition and get out, timed starts (I will sometimes tell my car to start at 8:45am and I go outside at 9:00am to go to work) all kinds of neat stuff that most will think they will never use but eventually will.

I have the Clarion 2-way system and love it to death. All in 1 alarm/starter and it's very nice.

Hey , if you're in Vancouver, i can get you the Compustar 2wfm Alarm which comes with remote starter and paging unit. One of the top end alarms on the market right now, and it's retail for like $800 + tax and install, but my buddy installed mine and he's a pro at this and can do it for $650 flat. Send me an email if you're interested.

noodle123@shaw.ca

He's been doing car audio, alarms and such for over 15 years for various companies and now is doing his own business from his own garage. Send me a shout if this is something that appeals to you.

Back