Remote problems after it was dropped

MazdaDriverNJ

Contributor
:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD
I am not sure which part of the forum this would best belong to (maybe Electronics?) so I'm posting it here.

I dropped my keys last week while walking to the car (which was already open), but when I tried to start it, the car wouldn't start. I tried locking/unlocking - didn't work. Nothing was working to start the car, all buttons were unresponsive. After a few minutes it did start though, but it was not a pleasant experience as I really had to leave.

Today, again: I dropped the keys when I was opening an office door. I went back outside to check if the remote was working - and it was not. I tried lock/unlock - nothing. I pressed 'panic' and it worked - after that lock/unlock also worked.

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem? And what is the issue - is it the battery? Thoughts, advice - all appreciated.

Not had the issue, but remember, if your remote battery (or electronics) is/are dead, you can use the key to get in the car, then you can press the end of the remote against the Start button to start the car (the car 'reads' the RFID chip in the end of the remote). This is covered in the Owners Manual if you need more detail.

does the tiny LED on the fob flash when you press a button after dropping it?

Not had the issue, but remember, if your remote battery (or electronics) is/are dead, you can use the key to get in the car, then you can press the end of the remote against the Start button to start the car (the car 'reads' the RFID chip in the end of the remote). This is covered in the Owners Manual if you need more detail.
Thank you! I will definitely check the manual and try it - just to know what to do if this happens again.

Could it be the battery was slighty dislodged from the drop? I've only had it slip out of my hands a few times, mostly when trying to unlock my home's front door with a handful of stuff, but I've never had it stop working.

Could it be the battery was slighty dislodged from the drop? I've only had it slip out of my hands a few times, mostly when trying to unlock my home's front door with a handful of stuff, but I've never had it stop working.

While likely something broke internally, there is always the chance that removing and replacing the battery will work. You could also take your second remote, which presumably works and switch out the batteries before getting a new battery. I have not researched Mazdas, but with my other keyless entry car, eBay sold remotes much cheaper than the dealer ever did.

I have dropped my key several times, in my garage, in the parking lot where I work and never had this type of issue. As it has been suggested, the battery could be the culprit but I have taken the key apart and the battery is lodged in there well. You can also try swapping the battery from your other key fob and place it in the one that is giving you trouble.

Thanks everyone. I will check the battery in the other remote and compare. At the time when this happened, I didn't have any tools to take out the battery and check it out, so the feeling of being stuck and not being able to drive was powerless..

Ahhh! This happened again today without any kind of dropping (as I've been very conscious and careful with my keys) - couldn't unlock the car, had to use the actual key to open the driver door and then start it by putting the key fob next to the start button... frustrating. I have switched with my other remote (which I haven't been using at all).. let's see if this repeats.

Back