Red fluid leak in brand new CX-5 Signature?

Hi all,

I just got a brand new CX-5 Signature 5 days ago. When I drove it home, I noticed some burnt smells, and under the hood, I saw a small red fluid leak (see pictures). Any idea what it is?

Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20210524_232649975.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210524_232649975.MP.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 161
  • PXL_20210524_232706259.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210524_232706259.MP.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 175
I can’t see much in the picture, but my 2021 CE gave off odd engine smells for a long time after, delivery, perhaps six months during very light use. If you’re near the dealer just take it in, but otherwise I’d wipe up the fluid and see if it returns. The smells are normal ( to a point).

- Mark

Upvote 0
Not sure about the red but the engine will smell for the first couple hundred miles. There is a layer of protectant on the engine parts to prevent rust when during shipment

Upvote 0
The burning protectant smells are normal with any new car, more prevalent with non-US cars that are shipped by ocean transport. As above, I can’t comment on the red fluid, it could be a lot of things…

Upvote 0
Probably ATF. New vehicles often give off strange smells but, see if it diminishes over the next week or so. Ed

Upvote 0
If the 2021's use Type FZ ATF, that stuff is blue, not red. However, if it used Mercon V for the Power Steering fluid, then that's red.

Whatever it is, the OP really needs to get back to the stealership to find out what's up.

Upvote 0
Sometimes the assembly lubricants get sloppy applied and the excess oozes out. The red stuff just might be that. I lean towards agreeing with Mark as to
I’d wipe up the fluid and see if it returns.
Asking the service folks at the dealership is likely to get you a not too useful “Nah, nothing to worry about. Totally normal” response.

Upvote 0
Back