Recommendations for tires and brakes? 2015 CX-9 GT

:
2015 CX-9 GT
I just purchased a 2015 cx9 gt (84k miles)and while I like the vehicle overall I would love to get some tires and breaks that are a bit better than whatever is currently on this thing. It feels a little weak when breaking to the point to where I don't think I would trust it to tow a 2k lb trailer and be able to stop within any reasonable distance. The tires currently feel like they lack traction in the rain as well. Thanks for any recommendations you all can provide!

Edit: Just to clarify, this is the fwd version, not awd (I wanted to avoid known issues with the transfer case).

Last edited:
I just purchased a 2015 cx9 gt (84k miles)and while I like the vehicle overall I would love to get some tires and breaks that are a bit better than whatever is currently on this thing. It feels a little weak when breaking to the point to where I don't think I would trust it to tow a 2k lb trailer and be able to stop within any reasonable distance. The tires currently feel like they lack traction in the rain as well. Thanks for any recommendations you all can provide!
Edit: just realized you have a CX9 and not a CX5 so my OEM brake experience may differ.

The mazda OEM are perfectly balanced and will probably stick with OEM.

However have only had the CX5 for a year and not towed with them yet. There may be others who have used the OEM while towing.

I have used NAPA adaptive one ceramics for many years on my previous vehicles and towed fine with those pads. Nice stopping power.

Also, if you will be towing often or towing heavy loads then EBC yellowstuff might be for you. They are a little too strong for daily driver though.

I was considering the EBC redstuff ceramics for daily driver.

For all terrain tires, the firestone destination AT2 function well for highway driving and light /moderate offroad use. Very quiet on highway and good in gravel and mud so far.
Falken AT Trails and AT3W are also good choices.

Others may chime in with their preferences for all season and touring tires.

Edit: Just to clarify, this is the fwd version, not awd (I wanted to avoid known issues with the transfer case).

The OEM brake rotors and pads are a bit of a weak point on the first generation CX-9. There's an old thread here covering brake replacement:

I swapped to Centric/Stoptech parts. The brakes seem ok to me. For tires, I still have the Bridgestone Ecopias on the stock rims.

I just put some Michelin Defender T+H's on my car this afternoon. Sam's Club had them for $669 out the door, all in, road Hazzard and everything.

gene, we don't know what you want in tires except good wet traction. There are many very good tires, and also many of these that are not the best for your situation. Start with tirerack.com's tire decision guide. https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/tire_decision_guide.html

Pick the most important attribute for you, and mark lower priorities for other attributes that matter to you less.

1661281527421.png

Back