Rear door when hauling large items

bosip

Contributor
:
Mazda CX-5
I have had my CX-5 since August, 2012 and only noticed a few weeks ago, when I wanted to haul a small tree home that there are no tie-down hooks on the rear door. I could not find any way to tie the door down when hauling oversized items. This is my 5th SUV and the first one that did not have any thing like this. Has anyone come up with a way around this?

Thanks for directing me to your post -- I tried doing a search for the topic before I posted but didn't come up with anything. Unfortunately what your post tells me is that no one has any ideas around it.
I ended up renting a Home Depot truck for $20 to bring home the 8 and 10 foot long items I purchased there. I do have one idea, but it's rather extreme and I don't really know whether it would work or not. The gas supports on the rear door are relatively easy to disconnect on the door end (ball/socket connection). If you were to disconnect one strut, the remaining strut would not be able to support the weight of the door and thus the door would drop down on the item(s) protruding from the rear cargo area. I don't know how you would secure the door in any way, but possibly the weight of the door would be enough to hold it down, at least for a short trip home. Like I said, it's not a very elegant solution, but it might work if you're desperate enough.

Thanks for directing me to your post -- I tried doing a search for the topic before I posted but didn't come up with anything. Unfortunately what your post tells me is that no one has any ideas around it.

I wouldn't drive very far or very fast with the rear hatch tied down (manual doesn't recommend it at all).

But for short, local trips just cut yourself an 8" length of 1"x2", 1"x1" or other suitable material. Tie your line around the middle of it and cut to length. Make it long enough to go from the trailing edge of the hatch to the metal latch at the center rear of the cargo bed.

When you want to move an oversized item, pop off the hatch handle (little plastic recess used to close rear hatch) insert stick so it lies parallel to the drip edge and is supported on either side and tie other end to lower latch. Make sure your stick is long enough that neither end can slip out.

The plastic cover is easy to remove without tools. With the hatch open, catch two or three fingernails from each hand behind the long edge of the cover closest to the exterior side if hatch. Apply pressure towards the recess to flex it slightly away from the little catches and pop it off. To insert just pop it back in after making sure it's not facing the wrong way.

I wouldn't drive very far or very fast with the rear hatch tied down (manual doesn't recommend it at all).

But for short, local trips just cut yourself an 8" length of 1"x2", 1"x1" or other suitable material. Tie your line around the middle of it and cut to length. Make it long enough to go from the trailing edge of the hatch to the metal latch at the center rear of the cargo bed.

When you want to move an oversized item, pop off the hatch handle (little plastic recess used to close rear hatch) insert stick so it lies parallel to the drip edge and is supported on either side and tie other end to lower latch. Make sure your stick is long enough that neither end can slip out.

The plastic cover is easy to remove without tools. With the hatch open, catch two or three fingernails from each hand behind the long edge of the cover closest to the exterior side if hatch. Apply pressure towards the recess to flex it slightly away from the little catches and pop it off. To insert just pop it back in after making sure it's not facing the wrong way.
I read your post twice and still have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

I read your post twice and still have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
"Hatch handle" = recess for fingers in bottom of rear hatch.

1"x2" or 1"x1"= dimensional lumber
8" = 8 inches long
Trailing edge of hatch = bottom edge
"line" is the same as "rope"

I hope this makes it more clear.

Back