rear defroster

kaz65

:
CX-5 GT AWD
Good Morning

well it has come that time of the year when we need to use the rear defroster does anyone else notice how slow it is? when i turn it on the mirrors clear up in a mins or 2 but the rear defroster even after driving 10 mins it was just starting to clear.
wanted to know if anyone else had this issue before i went to the dealer.

Thanks.

Light frost on the windows several days this week--rear cleared very quickly for me--probably less than a minute.

Like most cars I've owned it's a bit slow which is normal.

heavy fog today in St.Louis, it took about 5 mins to clear from the window. My Jeep's rear defrost was much faster but I'm ok with it (rear wiper for a reason lol)

fog clears ~1min for me. frost generally ~2-3 min. seems consistent with other cars i have driven with rear defrosters.

Do you scrape the window first, or are you relying on the defroster to melt all of the frost? Also, keep in mind the rear window is a large piece of relatively thick glass, to there is a lot of mass to heat.

Do you scrape the window first, or are you relying on the defroster to melt all of the frost? Also, keep in mind the rear window is a large piece of relatively thick glass, to there is a lot of mass to heat.

after about 2-3 minutes frost is melted enough that the rear wiper can slide it right off. now this really only applies to the center of the glass where the wiper makes contact. around the edge of the window there is still some frost after 2-3 minutes but at that point it's not that big a deal since the wiper cleared the center.

This morning we had fairly light frost and temp was around 32F (0C) I turned the rear defroster on, set the heat to defrost and fan on full. While I was scraping the side windows, the font window was about 1/3 cleared and the rear window only had small lines of frost between the defroster lines. That took maybe 2-3 minutes. By the time I hit the bottom of my street, maybe another 2 minutes the rear window was completely clear (I didn't put the wiper on) That was probably 5 minutes tops. Doesn't seem out of line with other cars I've driven. I have noticed that frost seems to clear faster that fog, especially if the fog is on the inside of the window.

Back