Real Quick DSM AFC Question.

baconbitz

:
2003 Spicy Orange MSP
I can't take the hesitation any more. Im going to get the Split Second AFC sometime soon and just need to know if a wideband O2 sensor is a necessity. Im thinking I will need one if I want to make my own maps but I was wondering if I could still run the superstock map or something like that without one.

Thanks in advance,
BJ

Edit: Also is version II worth the extra 50 bucks?

I would disagree. You do need one. Dyno tune it too, don't just do a street tune.

i would say for what it sounds like you want, no you won't really need a wb. IF you want to custom tune it, make your own maps, or squeeze all the power you could get out of it, you will need one. It sounds like you just wanna smooth it out and add a little bit of a punch.

i would say for what it sounds like you want, no you won't really need a wb. IF you want to custom tune it, make your own maps, or squeeze all the power you could get out of it, you will need one. It sounds like you just wanna smooth it out and add a little bit of a punch.

But on thatn ote, do you really want to trust a map if you don't know what's really going on with your engine? Besides, even the supermap needs to be adjusted for altitude, etc.

A Wideband is always useful, but I don't think it's a neccessity if you just plan on running the superstock map. If you plan on dynoing it's not needed either because the dyno shop will usually be able to read that for you.

It's really only useful for you so that you always know where your AF ratio is at and to know when you might have an AF problem. Also useful for tuning on your own.

A narrow band will help just because you can atleast know if you are running lean or rich. You just wont know exactly what you're running.

Yea I do have a narrow band that I use as a warning gauge. My plan for now was to go ahead and buy and install the afc and then late september I would go ahead and pick up a wideband to fully take advantage of the afc.

Maxx: How much do you think not adjusting the superstock map would affect the safety of my motor?

Well I'm sure it would be safe, but personally I wouldn't take a $5000 chance on a new motor because I didn't want to spend $300 on a proper wideband. The narrowband meters just don't work...

yea narrowband is virtually worthless. It is DEFNITELY A GOOD IDEA to have a wb....but in your case, i wouldn't say it's a necessity. Maybe see if you can't find a conservatively tuned map for your specific application, whatever your mods may be. Or take one that's made, and change it so it's a little more conservative (run richer, rather than leaner). That way your motor is somewhat more safe.

But that's my point. Even with the supermap, how would you know if your car is running too lean? What if by fluke somethign ****** up, or there was a hole in the map, and you'd never know until it's too late. I guess what I'm getting at, is $300 is CHEAP insurance.

Even if you had a wideband, it won't make much of a difference if you don't know how to tune the car. Best bet is to have a professional tune your car for you. Then having a wideband will be give you exact numbers on your tune. Atleast with a narrowband you'll have some idea as well, just not nearly as good as a wideband. I'll have to say that some people who blow their motors probably have widebands as well.

i am running the supermap on my stock setup and boost. Hesitation under full boost is GONE!!! Get the AFC, stay stock.... get the wideband to tune later.... it's plug and play for stock setup at sea level. You still can use a few mods with this map, but i would get a wideband for more than stock.

My car is day and nigth from before the AFC install. Call Ken at protegegarage and get one now!

Enjoy the MSP's fun driving experience!(band2)

just buy the controller and have a shop tune the car. it will be less than 300 dollars for them to tune it.

Back