rattling heat shields

eyeballs

:
2012 Mazda 2 Touring SG 5MT
The heat shielding over the rear section of exhaust has developed a very annoying rattle at idle lately. Has anyone else had this problem? I wonder how much extra heat will come into the trunk and back seat area if I remove them. Inconveniently, the couple times I put the rear on ramps to try and find exactly where the rattle was, it didn't rattle.

The holes on mine rounded out until the heat shield dropped completely and sounded awful at idle. It was literally just sitting on top of the rear axle. I ended up cutting it in half with tin snips and removing it altogether. It seems a little louder (nice little growl at WOT), but I might just be imagining things. Haven't checked the temperature of the trunk floor after driving yet. I'll probably replace it when I install my exhaust.

How many miles on your car? Mine had ~60k when it started rattling.

I've only got around 37k miles, but I did mess with the shielding back there a little when I installed the exhaust. Every day it seems to be getting worse now. Hopefully I can get to the fasteners holding them on without removing the exhaust, I should be able to pull them this weekend.

I had one of the weld on tabs on the manifold for the heat shield break off which makes a nice rattle at 7k. Makes for a great audible shift warning.

Derrick

Well I got the car up on ramps and started her up. No rattle. Waited....sure enough when things warmed up the rattle came so I started poking around. Turns out its none of the above. The noise is coming from within the muffler! Crazy.

Well I've done exactly nothing so far. And the rattle seems to be slowly getting better. I'm hopeful that the rear section won't be a loss, especially since this is such a great exhaust and isn't made anymore.

Update:

Per corksports advice I disconnected the system and attempted to shake out whatever may have came loose in the muffler. Nothing came out after extensive shaking in multiple directions. I put the muffler back on. No more rattle, exhaust still sounds great.

Back