Radio swap

Hi everyone , I’m having an issue with my new radio I put in , so I swapped my old radio out for a new pioneer avh-120 bt. Everything works great but once I switch on my headlights the sound disappears but the bt will still be on and playing just no sound. Anybody know what could be the issue ??

Well there you go.

You dun goofed.

Please tell me you kept the plug you cut off. Please, please tell me that.

Now, repair the damage you did to your car by soldering and heat shrinking the factory plug back to the car.

Now spend $12 and get a proper interface harness.

Upvote 0
I do have the original one I cut off thankfully my husband and father told me to keep it !
But thank you for the advise ! I will have to see when I can have them re put it back together and get the harness for it !

Upvote 0
Bruh, that's how the PO did mine. They managed to swap L/R channels but actually had them in phase. I didn't go back to the oe>adapter>radio, route, Just solder and heat shrink. I thought they were out of phase at first and then I played a song that starts out on the left side and it came out of the right instead. turns out the right speaker was water damaged and the rears are still stock. zero bass in my rice box lol

Upvote 0
This might help.
It shows the wire colors for the radio.

Screenshot_20220414-003421_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

This is the wiring color code,..

Screenshot_20220414-003617_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

B/W (I) means a black wire with a white strip in the Instrument harness.
(D) is dash harness and (DR1) is door harness.

Screenshot_20220414-003851_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

You should be able to connect up your wires if you know what wire is what.

There is a power feed wire going to the radio that turns on background lighting when your headlights are turned on.

Perhaps that wire is shorted out or something?

Maybe try to find that wire (it should read 12 volts when the headlights are turned on), and disconnect it.

You won't have back lighting on your new radio then, but it may not have back lighting anyway?

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for the advise we messed with it again today , and hopefully will get to it tomorrow again if not I called a radio installation shop and gave me a quote so that will be our last option !

Reactions: pcb
Upvote 0
There is a power feed wire going to the radio that turns on background lighting when your headlights are turned on.

That power wire is connected to the dimmer dial on your dash, because the back lighting for the stereo dims along with the rest of your dash lighting.

You should see the voltage on that wire going up and down as you rotate the dimmer dial.

If that wire is going into your new stereo, just cut it and tape it off.

Upvote 0
I found it,..

It's the white wire with a blue stripe running along the length of the wire. ( W/L )

Screenshot_20220414-155553_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
Screenshot_20220414-154919_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
Screenshot_20220414-155146_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
Screenshot_20220414-155107_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

If that wire is going into your new stereo, cut it and tape it off.
Don't use it, unless your new stereo has dimmable back lighting with an input wire for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back