Quick question about this CAI

KyleSpence

:
Mazda 3 sport Hatchback 6 speed manual
Im just starting out learning about cars, i just got myself a 2011 mazda 3 sport hatchback, 6 speed manual. I never had a car worth doing anything too before so im new to all this. i was wondering if this Cold Air Intake would fit in my 2011 Mazda 3, I think it should, but mine is not the MazdaSpeed, so i was curious if this CAI will only fit in the speed, and not mine.

http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Injen_Short_Ram_Intake_for_07_11_Mazdaspeed3-10261-1.html

Last edited:
First, that is an SRI not a CAI. second, run the part number against the info on the Injen website for the Mazda 3s. Or give them a call.

Yeah Man, that fits the Speed models only. They are turboed which makes a world of difference. The air inlet/Throttle body is in a completely different place on the Speeds.
But don't worry, Injen makes them for the std N/A (Naturally Aspired) 3 series also, and while expensive they are said to be one of the best.

A few terms that may help you out:
CAI = Cold Air Intake: A long, smooth tubed intake that usually draws the air in from under the car, behind a bumper cover, or in many cases from inside a wheel well. These are best for mid to upper midrange power increases.

SRI = Short Ram Intake: A short, smooth walled intake that still takes air in from the engine compartment. Best for high RPM power increases. These are more easily serviced than are CAI's because the filter is more easily accessible.

Do not expect any noticeable increases in performance from either. In fact, you may notice a slight drop in low end torque. And do not expect any better fuel mileage either, in spite of what hype they may throw at you.

Wow that helps out a lot, thank you man i really appreciate the help. Theres so much i want to do i wish i could do it all at once! Do you recommend any specific CAI that fits my 2011? and also exhaust? those are the 2 things i want to start out with.

Youd probably be better off getting a tuner. Youd get as much power out of any bolt-on (which is to say it wont be much) and its the EASIEST mod to do yourself

I agree. I have both intake (AEM/Mazdaspeed) and Exhaust (Vibrant) and neither really helped much as far as performance is concerned. What they did do is make the exhaust note louder which I did want,and my engine compartment a bit cleaner looking, but the cost was well over $800 for both.
The Hypertech Sport will afford you faster throttle response time, slightly more advanced timing and a leaner mixture, and @ a cost of around $500... no wrenches or bloody knuckles required. The best part is you can tune it for reg 87 octane fuel or 91-93 octane, though even they say (Hypertech) the difference between the two is not worth it.
Since boosting is out of the question for me, that's probably going to be my next move as well.

Actually, upon an initial search i saw nothing for the 2011 NA 3 in the way of hypertech. There may be something else out there

after having been through several cars that were not boosted i realize that any cheap bolt-ons that have immediate power increases can only come from a charged engine. Its just the way they are inherently designed, for the average everyday driver from the factory

case-in-point my mazdaspeed3. It has an almost choking intake from the factory, and ANY aftermarket intake yields 15-20hp. Any intake for the NA mazda3, like 2-5hp. A downpipe for the speed, another 15-20hp, full exhaust for the mazda3 mayybe half that

any actual power you want is going to come from extreme alterations such as internal engine components (cams, compression ratio, etc), or some type of charge beit turbo or supercharger, or nitrous

or you could go a completely different route and do all handling performance...you might not beat ppl at a stop light, but there are mazda2s that have higher skidpads slaloms than vettes because of suspension and tire choice

Back