quick question about fuel.

02MazPro5

:
02 Protege5
i am getting ready to run a small t3 turbo on my car the ar's are intake .42 exhaust .48 I'm only looking for about 150whp on my mp5. What I'm wanting to know is do I have to get fuel managment or can I just use an adjustable fuel pressure regulator? I've seen / helped tune a couple of turbo or supercharged cars with AFPR. Since I'm not looking at running a huge amount of boost like 6-7psi at most, will this be ok? Also I'm looking at running a FMIC and a BOV, would I need either of them with my small power gain?

02MazPro5 said:
i am getting ready to run a small t3 turbo on my car the ar's are intake .42 exhaust .48 I'm only looking for about 150whp on my mp5. What I'm wanting to know is do I have to get fuel managment or can I just use an adjustable fuel pressure regulator? I've seen / helped tune a couple of turbo or supercharged cars with AFPR. Since I'm not looking at running a huge amount of boost like 6-7psi at most, will this be ok? Also I'm looking at running a FMIC and a BOV, would I need either of them with my small power gain?

To be honest I would run a fuel managment system. These cars need to be tuned. Depending on how much you are wanting to spend you could just by a MSP turbo kit with an msp ecu. you can buy mine if you really want.....

Last edited:
Im running 6 pounds and have a gt-28 and am using an MPI. But then again i also have an MP3=Advanced timing.

i would say get fuel management, just bc a good tune will make better, more reliable power. for low boost, you should be alright with an fmu and o2 clamp, but if you ever do wanna go faster, you are still gonna have to get some type of fuel managment. it might cost more, but you will be much happier in the long run, and the motor will be too.
craig

avarela86 said:
Im running 6 pounds and have a gt-28 and am using an MPI. But then again i also have an MP3=Advanced timing.

you could have gotten rid of it for a 2 year newer ES ECU, but no...

Ok, so will an adjustable fuel pressure regulator work, better then an FMU? Since I can see the pressure it's at?

i kind of figured that, but doesn't the FMU adjust to the intake pressure while the AFPR stays the same. I'm just wondering if anyone has run an AFPR's on their turbo's?

IIRC the the AFPR is like the BEGI Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator. Do a search for the RRFPR and you will see how it works compared to a FMU

For low boost, you can do that. The BEGI turbo kit fan it like that and they were pretty reliable. Only when people up'd the boost did they start having problems. 5psi should be cool to use one. Just so you know, I tuned a car running 5psi with the MPI and made 170whp and around 188wtq here in AZ, so you do get more with tuning. But that wasn't your question, so a RRFPR will work for what you want!(thumb)

Back