Question about FSDE Blocks.

baconbitz

:
2003 Spicy Orange MSP
Ok, even though I know its stupid, a waste of money, time, and probably a few other things I have been contemplating building my motor. My main problem here is that it will take me a while to have all of the money to do a full build, and do it right. No you might be thinking at this point "why don't you just save up untill you can afford it then do it?". The reason I have kind of ruled this out is I have a tendancy to spend my money on food when I know its there. So instead of saving money I would indeed be wasting it. Not to mention as of now my protege is my only car so I cant have it down for months at a time.

So my solution ive come up with is to buy a used FS block out of my local junkyard and slowly accumulate the parts to assemble it. I figure this is the best option for me. Now onto my question. Will I be able to use an FS block out of, say, an 626? Or are the blocks different in some way that it would be a bad idea.

Cliff Notes:
1. I am broke
2. May want to do slow build
3. Will an fs block out of a car other than a protege be a good solution.

the short blocks should be the same, the heads will be different, and the crank may or may not be the same. you should be able to use the block without any problems, but i would just stay as new as possible just to be safe. if you wait a few months, i will have a stock protege 5 long block for sale. it will be coming out of a pro5 with about 70k miles by then. haven't thought of a price yet, but, if you aren't planning on buying anything for a little while, we could work something out. the motor has never been modded or driven rough.

steps to get an expensive pre-built superhappyfun forged engine...

step one: apply for one of the many preapproved credit cards that always come in the mail.

step 2: receive said credit card in a couple weeks.

step 3: order a built block from one of the awesome vendors on this site and completely max the credit card.

step 4: enjoy the ride!

i bought a used long block from the junkyard around christmas. im finally collecting all of the parts now to build it up. so i agree that that is a good idea so that you can still use your car. however, ifyou are broke, i suggest you wait to start buying a used engine and parts. even after buying all of the parts you need, you still have to pay for the machine work. will you be installing the engine yourself? if not, that will be more money. what if there are problems after you install the engine and you need to drop more money to fix them?

I'm in the same boat, I have a block and have been doing research on parts. I sent the block to the machine shop to see if it's in good condition, they said the crank needs to be cleaned up but the block is good. They charged me $160 to micro polish the crank and clean and inspect the block. Throw in a set of rods, pistons, the machine work, gaskets, bearings, and I'll be around $2k just about what a built block would be. If you have the time, patience and want something specific then yes do it yourself but if not then just order a built block.

orng1 said:
I'm in the same boat, I have a block and have been doing research on parts. I sent the block to the machine shop to see if it's in good condition, they said the crank needs to be cleaned up but the block is good. They charged me $160 to micro polish the crank and clean and inspect the block. Throw in a set of rods, pistons, the machine work, gaskets, bearings, and I'll be around $2k just about what a built block would be. If you have the time, patience and want something specific then yes do it yourself but if not then just order a built block.
I am building my own and from what I can tell it will be a LOT less expensive.
Here is a built longblock: http://www.nsnmotorsports.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_42&products_id=58
$4,450.00 plus shipping.
Built shortblock $2995.00 plus shipping plus a possible core charge.
65.61.187.242/product_p/fssu.htm
Built shortblock $3299.95 plus shipping.
http://mazda3online.web.aplus.net/product_info.php?cPath=281_21_32_175&products_id=684
I am certain they are all fine products so no slam on the vendors at all (alright)

However, I will spend about $2500.00 for my rebuild including a new clutch and pressure plate, and two more injectors for my MPI.
Now I am receiving help from a few buds including the engine assembly so I have bartered for a few things along the way. If there is a will there is a way and building your own engine is a great learning experience.
I had never taken a transmission apart before but I yanked mine out (with help) and then rebuilt it myself. It was easy.
I have met many good people along the way and we just pool our resources. I help them with computer needs and they help me with car needs. It works out in the end and I am no longer intimidated by most aspects of my car.
Good friends make all the difference in the world plus no one cares more about your car than you do. :)
Also, being in debt sucks. If you can take your time, build it slow, build it right and be debt free. I will be debt free next year and on my way to building a third home (which I will sale as well.)
Earn intrest, don't pay it. ;)

Last edited:
install and assembly can be really expensive depending on where you live. mechanics here charge $75-$150 an hour. probably different where you are, but still expensive. work that in if you don't do your own work

I say you just buy a brand new built block.You may not have the money now but the time it would take to slowly gather all the parts you could save up the money for it, and it will be brand new and machined to the right specs and dont have to worry about junkyard parts.Then all you have to do it switch out the block and your car will be down for a couple of days at most.

Back