question about a strange Mazda car - 4WS

I post it here, because there is no other section for that type.
The car is just too old.
But I need to learn how many of these 626 4WS cars were made:

http://www.allegro.pl/show_item.php?item=504679208

You see I tried at the dealerships and I even tried calling Japan,
but it looks like noone knows anything.
I even contacted one of the dealerships in Europe, but they have no info.
I spoke with an old guy who said he remembers it was a very rare version, but couldn't be more specific due to lack of books.

So can anyone here please help?
Here is the VIN number: JMZGD745201221090

FYI - 4WS means 4 wheel steering.
The rear wheels are controlled by additional module and turn depending on the cars speed.

Last edited:
are you just looking for production #'s or something else?
My neighbor had one up till last summer and I did a lot of work on it for him.

I'm at work so I can't view your link above. If you want it as a DD or interesting second car, go for it. If viewing as an investment I would probably pass. Late 80's to early 90's saw both Mazda and Honda experiment with some 4ws systems. Both were reported to handle very well (particularly in lane change) but not many customers purchased due added cost. As a side note, I believe Chevy/GMC did/does make a "Magnasteer" 4ws version for their trucks.

Did know 626's could come in 4WS.

1991 Prelude 2.0 Si 4WS, Beautiful car, love the way it glides around corners!

Did know 626's could come in 4WS.

1991 Prelude 2.0 Si 4WS, Beautiful car, love the way it glides around corners!

I almost purchased one of those cars but it was sold right out from under me! Anyways back on topic I didnt realise mazda made anything 4ws! Is their suck a thing as a 4ws with 4wd on a car? Imagine what kind of headache that would be.

I almost purchased one of those cars but it was sold right out from under me! Anyways back on topic I didnt realise mazda made anything 4ws! Is their suck a thing as a 4ws with 4wd on a car? Imagine what kind of headache that would be.

The old Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4's were AWD with 4 wheel steering. The 300ZX TT's were 4WS also (but not AWD). Nissan called it "Super HICAS". I believe the new Skyline GT-R has 4WS.

I am curious to know how many were made.
I am thinking about buying it.
They do drive nice but if you are looking for something special they
made the AWS in a turbo version too, I'd look for one of those.
it had the same turbo motor as the '89 Ford Probe.

The old Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4's were AWD with 4 wheel steering. The 300ZX TT's were 4WS also (but not AWD). Nissan called it "Super HICAS". I believe the new Skyline GT-R has 4WS.

Many, MANY Nissans came with the HICAS system. Originally developed in the mid-80s and started showing up on cars in the late 80s. Pretty much optional on every RWD car they sold in Japan. In the US, you could get it on:

'91-93 S13 240SX
Early years of the Infiniti Q45
Infiniti J30
Infiniti M35/45
Infiniti G37/2nd-gen G35
The new GT-R.

Nissan's system does nothing at low speeds, at high speed all four wheels turn the same direction, and at mid-speeds the rear wheels turn opposite the front first to rotate the rear then turn the same to stabilize.

Back