Purpose of black woven pattern across top of windshield?

It's called windshield frit. It's a black enamel that is baked into the windshield during the manufacturing process. It has a few main purposes. On the inner side of the windshield, the frit provides an etched surface to allow a good bond with the adhesive used to mount the windshield. On the outer side, the frit acts as a UV blocker to protect the adhesive bond and prevent it from being weakened due to UV exposure. The little dots are primarily just a more attractive transition from the black enamel to the clear glass, but they also provide a bit of shade as well.

Is it ok for a dash cam adhesive mount to be partially over the frit or should it be below completely? I would like to get the camera as high as possible while keeping the lens below the frit.

yes its ok.
Mine is stuck exactly there (near the mirror) to be as hidden as possible.

I also have mine mounted directly on the frit in my CX-9, mainly to help hide the dashcam mounting point and make it look a little closer to OEM. No issues to report so far and it's been a couple of years since the initial install.

20210708_103759.jpg

20210708_103832.jpg

I have an 8 year old NY E-ZPass toll transponder (a small white brick) velcroed in the same area but at the top of the windshield where it is fully disguised behind the frit. On a recent trip through NY, OH, IN and IL, the toll readers had no problem with it as shown in my EZ-Pass toll log. I also had an initial concern that it might affect camera or rain sensing functions (see manual advisory). That checks out OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
The little dots are primarily just a more attractive transition from the black enamel to the clear glass, but they also provide a bit of shade as well.
Very understated reason for it, too. Many cars do this so the sun doesn't blind you when looking in the rear view.

I have an 8 year old NY E-ZPass toll transponder (a small white brick) velcroed in the same area but at the top of the windshield where it is fully disguised behind the frit. On a recent trip through NY, OH, IN and IL, the toll readers had no problem with it as shown in my EZ-Pass toll log. ...

The placement on the dots works fine on my wife's CX-5, but it was hit-or-miss on my old Lexus. I used to get away without paying tolls, due to it not always reading. It was read about 1/3 the time. This is when I discovered how poor their camera system works. Only 5 or 6 times was I sent an email stating they got my toll via camera. The majority of the time I never had to pay.

That same sensor now behind the windshield dots on my new Ranger seems to be read every time. Maybe Toyota/Lexus has some sort of RF blocking material they use.

Back