Protege5 - Show us your rust!

Our P5 has rust everywhere underneath. It's in Columbia, MO for school, so hopefully the warmer weather will help out. At least for a few years of college...LOL!

why dont you sell the car and buy stg with better body? I didnt know it was that bad when i bought the car. i dont think i would have bought it if i knew.

why dont you sell the car and buy stg with better body? I didnt know it was that bad when i bought the car. i dont think i would have bought it if i knew.

What's "stg"?

My P5 was pretty cheap when I bought it, so it's expected... I'd say there are more visibly rusty (hatch, wheel arches, hood) proteges in Quebec than non rusty ones, so finding a rust free one for sale is hard and expensive.

@alexelie you end up getting a VW? :)

CheeseHelmet, stg is something. And yeah im looking for a jetta 1.8t. ive seen one and i will have it inspected friday at lauzon vw in blainville. Its a 2004 stage1+(225hp, 265 tq), 100 000KM(not miles). The rad is leaking, at least one wheel bearing is bad(from the ride i had, it made a loud noise that sounded like wheel bearing, i might be wrong though) and im suspecting the shocks to be blown...its dropped 2" on neuspeed coils. Sooo lol im getting it inspected and probably try to drop the price loll. if he doesnt want i will pass to another one.There are a couple insteresting ones. When i tried it, we were 3 in the car and i floored it getting on the highway in second gear hehe, i must say im pretty pleased with the performance of the turbo. the thing pushed all teh ay to 5000rpm where i shifted to 3rd gear.

CheeseHelmet, stg is something. And yeah im looking for a jetta 1.8t. ive seen one and i will have it inspected friday at lauzon vw in blainville. Its a 2004 stage1+(225hp, 265 tq), 100 000KM(not miles). The rad is leaking, at least one wheel bearing is bad(from the ride i had, it made a loud noise that sounded like wheel bearing, i might be wrong though) and im suspecting the shocks to be blown...its dropped 2" on neuspeed coils. Sooo lol im getting it inspected and probably try to drop the price loll. if he doesnt want i will pass to another one.There are a couple insteresting ones. When i tried it, we were 3 in the car and i floored it getting on the highway in second gear hehe, i must say im pretty pleased with the performance of the turbo. the thing pushed all teh ay to 5000rpm where i shifted to 3rd gear.

Hah, you were right near my house :)

They better offer you a good price because that's a lot to fix :p

Oh... silly "stages" trying to describe modification levels. ;)

stage 1+ is simpy a ecu reflash thta up the boost to around 20 psi and get you to 225 hp(from 180). no need for modifications(maybe a different bpv so its not leaking). stage 2 is minimum downpipe and you get around 235 hp. Thats juts the way they call their reflahs but it usually always work the same for any turbo car.
ex: stage sti means it has at least a downpipe and a reflash(with off the shelf map or dyno tuned with accessport or ecutek...

i bought my p5 last november... i'm just starting to love the car so i decided to try to fix the bubbling on my quarter panels but the bubbling is worse than i expected.. now my bumper waves at people when i drive by hahaha (unamused).
i think i'm going to sell the rusty pos ... so sad. i thought mazdas were better than this

The P5's were notorious for that exact rust. Curse of the car I guess.

Yep, another good one. Mine definitely has that.

Bottom of the front doors, also common.

Yep, another good one. Mine definitely has that.

Bottom of the front doors, also common.

I've got that starting on my driver-side door ;_;

What saddens me is seeing 15 year old tercels running around without a spot of rust on them. Clearly it's possible to make a car that doesn't rust out in our bad climate, but Mazda chose not to.

My next car will be a tercel :)

^^totally agree. J'ai remarqu a souvent les tercels n'ont aucune trace de rouille dans les ailes...But it still looks s***.

Soo... i was just replacing the front engine mount on my car, and the screws/bolts for the plastic panels that cover the bottom of the engine bay were so rusted that all but one of them broke.

Soo... i was just replacing the front engine mount on my car, and the screws/bolts for the plastic panels that cover the bottom of the engine bay were so rusted that all but one of them broke.

Welcome to the club. I got some self-tapping machine screws at the hardware store which work quite well.

Back