Protege5 Mods on a Budget

But $500 will go a lot further on a Honda. And you don't see the ef (88-91) all that much there's like 4 in my area. And for 500 you can do a motor swap on a honda or get coilovers, or get a bunch of bolt ons full exhaust for a Honda goes for $120 and that includes the header

You can build a Honda and be different. Building protgs isn't different it's like building any other car but starting out on a worthless motor. And trans and harder to find parts for

and at the end of the day its still just a honda

and at the end of the day its still just a honda

a79ea63c-9f13-4385-8312-be74d9595138.jpg

sorry for the 1yr necro, but I bought my P5 last month and now I'm looking to spice it up a bit for the cheap.

I'm scavenging "protege 5" and "5x114.3 17" (my stock rims are flaking chrome!) on craigslist auto parts almost every day hoping to find something worth taking.. no luck such so far. I'm resorting to amazon and ebay but I don't know what the good stuff is!
I just need some brands and ideas for search parameters :) Preferably budget oriented.

edit: stuff like short shifter, cai, maybe suspension, etc etc. But BNIB TWM shifters and K&N CAIs are too pricey for me! :p and yeah, I check the mazda marketplace pretty frequently as well

Last edited:
sorry for the 1yr necro, but I bought my P5 last month and now I'm looking to spice it up a bit for the cheap.

I'm scavenging "protege 5" and "5x114.3 17" (my stock rims are flaking chrome!) on craigslist auto parts almost every day hoping to find something worth taking.. no luck such so far. I'm resorting to amazon and ebay but I don't know what the good stuff is!
I just need some brands and ideas for search parameters :) Preferably budget oriented.

edit: stuff like short shifter, cai, maybe suspension, etc etc. But BNIB TWM shifters and K&N CAIs are too pricey for me! :p and yeah, I check the mazda marketplace pretty frequently as well

simota cold air intake, megan short shifter, stagg struts with megan lowering springs, ebay catback exhaust, obx header, msp racingbeat rear swaybar <----all very affordable mods

Alright, thanks guys.

I think I'll start off with the short shifter. This https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) one, right? Are there any more parts needed to make it work normally? I see that the TWM shifter has everything you need, bushing, screws, shift boot etc. Does the Megan SS use all the stock parts or will I need to get them separately? Anyone know if the Megan shifter thread will fit the stock knob? And the stock boot? I didn't find a lot of info via google..

And I'll keep on the lookout for some local totaled MSPs for the rear sway bar :) What's a decent market price for one?
I've also decided against getting a CAI/SRI even though the relatively low price tag and vroom vroom sound is tempting :p I do a lot of my driving in some dense suburbs near Philadelphia, tons of stop signs and not a lot of 45mph+ roads. The low end power of the stock intake sounds nice to me.. just a note, getting an ebay SRI+AEM/K&N filter would cost almost about the same amount as fixing up my stock setup (new intake tube and k&n drop in) if anyone has some input.

My P5 is due for a timing belt change (inherited problems of buying used) so are there any good mods/replacements to do while changing the TB? For convenience?

Last edited:
May as well replace your valve cover gasket while you have the cover off. Could also paint your valve cover while you're doing that. Here's what I did to mine while I did my valve cover gasket replacement:

Looks great with my black car I think.

Alright, thanks guys.

I think I'll start off with the short shifter. This https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) one, right? Are there any more parts needed to make it work normally? I see that the TWM shifter has everything you need, bushing, screws, shift boot etc. Does the Megan SS use all the stock parts or will I need to get them separately? Anyone know if the Megan shifter thread will fit the stock knob? And the stock boot? I didn't find a lot of info via google..

And I'll keep on the lookout for some local totaled MSPs for the rear sway bar :) What's a decent market price for one?
I've also decided against getting a CAI/SRI even though the relatively low price tag and vroom vroom sound is tempting :p I do a lot of my driving in some dense suburbs near Philadelphia, tons of stop signs and not a lot of 45mph+ roads. The low end power of the stock intake sounds nice to me.. just a note, getting an ebay SRI+AEM/K&N filter would cost almost about the same amount as fixing up my stock setup (new intake tube and k&n drop in) if anyone has some input.

My P5 is due for a timing belt change (inherited problems of buying used) so are there any good mods/replacements to do while changing the TB? For convenience?

yea thats the right one, it's pretty good for the price and it'll just drop in. you'll have to reuse some of your old parts but that shouldnt be a problem. IIRC the stock boot and knob will fit without problems.

The last msp rear swaybar i bought was $60. expect to pay less than $100 but it mainly depends on demand and the seller.

the stock intake on the p5 is very good, especially for your kind of driving. IMO a K&N drop in is a waste of money, a WIX filter will be just as good if not better.

Back