Protege5 Big brake upgrade? (using 626 parts)

Me and a buddy are pondering the idea of using front rotors on the rear and finding a differnt caliper/bracket to make it work. As long as it clears the dust shield i dont think it will be an issue. And if it doesnt we will look at removing it.

Front brakes are easy enuf and cheap enuf as well. Only the rears are causing and issue.

Ill check back in after we get some measurements and such to see what we have to work with.

the problem you will have is what to do with the parking brake, as it acts on the rear caliper.

really, guy, the best solution is the PG set-up for simplicity and completeness.

ho bag said:
Me and a buddy are pondering the idea of using front rotors on the rear and finding a differnt caliper/bracket to make it work. As long as it clears the dust shield i dont think it will be an issue. And if it doesnt we will look at removing it.

Front brakes are easy enuf and cheap enuf as well. Only the rears are causing and issue.

Ill check back in after we get some measurements and such to see what we have to work with.

njaremka said:
the problem you will have is what to do with the parking brake, as it acts on the rear caliper.

really, guy, the best solution is the PG set-up for simplicity and completeness.
Meh i would rather be different and do my own. Our rear setup isnt that rare or uncommon. My 96 mx3 gs uses the same setup.

I figure mazda probally used the same setup on a mpv or tribute at some point, That would provide the caliper, and depend on the rear knuckle possible the bracket as well.

Really until i start digging for parts ill never know.

the parts i include in the kits are OE mazda. the options to upgrade gives you performance aftermarket rotors and stainless steel lines. otherwise, i'll tell you what you need.

v6 626 front calipers 1998 to 2002
v6 front brake pads 1998 to 2002
rear calipers from a mazdaspeed protege
rear brake pads from a mazda6

rx7 rear calipers will not bolt on (tried this) rx7 rear pads fit but not as well as 6 pads do (tried this).

if you can source the above mentioned calipers and pads cheaper, by all means feel free. mazdaspeed protege calipers alone are a fortune. unless you are doing this with all junkyard parts.

Captain KRM P5 said:
the parts i include in the kits are OE mazda. the options to upgrade gives you performance aftermarket rotors and stainless steel lines. otherwise, i'll tell you what you need.

rx7 rear calipers will not bolt on (tried this) rx7 rear pads fit but not as well as 6 pads do (tried this).

if you can source the above mentioned calipers and pads cheaper, by all means feel free. mazdaspeed protege calipers alone are a fortune. unless you are doing this with all junkyard parts.

could you not just use rear brake pads for the Mazdaspeed Protege?

or do they have to be Mazda 6?

Captain KRM P5 said:

You forgot the 626 v6 front caliper bracket.

But ya, front is easy and already confirmed. Its the rear i wanna try something different with. Vented rear disc would be nice :)

blazeroline70 said:
will that kit fit a 95 protege dx..?

no

ho bag said:
I dont think there is any difference.

the rotors have different vents according to mazda, the calipers are for the most part identical. there are some casting marks that are different but they bolt up the same, brake the same and accept the same pads

This thread has my interest for sure. I'm curious, do the 626/MSP calipers have a bigger piston then the P5. If so they must use more fluid to apply the pads to the rotor. Results..a softer pedal feel. I would not like this if this is the case. Has anyone measured the pistons in both cars? I'd really like to do this mod.

Terry.

the MSP front calipers have the same piston bores as the ES/P5 calipers
the MSP rear calipers have a larger piston bore though

Bore size

Thanks,

Now I'll put this on my to do list. The rear bore size will not be as much of an issue as it is much smaller than the front bore(I'm guessing that 80% of fluid goes to front bores). If Mazda used the same master, then all is well. It's just that I like a very firm pedal. When i get around to this I'll probably look into teflon/stainless lines as well.

One other question, since the 626 is not a performance car are there many pad choices available? If the MSP parts are usable, then we are good to go.

Terry.

Back