Protege MP3 Vs. Celica GT

tritonheat1

Banned
:
06 MS6, 98 A4 1.8T Rebuilt
Honestly in everyone's opinion, without having a negative feedback just asking politely, which car do you think is faster. I've read that the celica GT did 0-60mph in 8.7sec i'm not sure if that's right or not, but around the mid to high 8"s.

2001Protege MP3: 2001Celica GT:
curb,weight 2725 curb,weight 2425
Horsepower 140hp Horsepower 140hp
Torque 142 lb.-ft Torque 125lb.-ft

The MP3 is giving the celica 300lbs in weight but the MP3 has 17lb.-ft torque.

assuming both drivers are of equal experience, id say the MP3 wins. i base this on what ive read on the internet...mainly that more torque equals quicker accel.......correct me if im wrong

I honestly agree with you kePo i thought the Mp3 would win if the drivers were equal experienced. this might be a dumb question but if the MP3 raced a GT-S celica automatic transmission do you think the MP3 would have a slight chance. :D

against an auto? hmmmm...thats a close one. im not sure how much power is lost through that auto......but it probably loses a lot...im gonna guess and say MP3 would win....im probably wrong on this one

mp3girly.....yes race her!!! and have someone tape it

Yes MP3girly race her and tape it that would be cool to see and goodluck :D lol. I wanna see a MP3 race a GT-S auto and see what the difference is.

I honestly figure it will be a close race for the GT-S autotransmission and if the MP3 raced the 6-speed transmission i doubt that the MP3 would win 0-60mph but on the start i bet the Mp3 would take off faster until the GT-S's vvtil kicks in.

HAHAHA What a comparison. Shawn, lets run them friday night! That would be awesome. I have never seen either of these cars in a race so it would be interesting to see. Where could we run them shawn? Perhaps your mom should follow you to baytown sometime and make it offical.

i know a friend that he has a GT, if u really wanna try with him...

and me...i have a GTS....hope it helps..

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: ahson ]

Hi guys I'm new here,
That would be a great race to see. A Celica GT vs the MP3. I too think that the MP3 will take the gold medal. I'm a great believer in our cars, MP3/MP5.

:) :cool: :D ;)
Don't worry, Be Happy..........

I had a run in with a GT-S and honestly......my ass was handed to me on a silver platter :mad: :( . It was cool to see him zoom by me though. Haha, I think the an auto GT-S in factory trim would still do us up......without having to use any K-Y. Just my opinion. A girl I work with just bought a GT, I'll try to talk her into running with me one night.

I bet the Mp3 is a very little bit quicker than a GT. But I don't think we stand a chance against a GT-S even if it's auto...

I don't know guys, I test drove an auto GTS and it was pitiful! I drove the MP3 right after it and it was like visiting a completely different planet. The MP3 seemed quite a bit faster off the line. I do know of some dudes with manual trannys that would probably just blast me away though. I have raced against a GT-S in autocross and the guy beat me pretty solidly but he wasn't using street tires like me and had a few years of experience on me. I will be seeing a few Celica people this weekend when I do some road racing time trials. I'll let you know how we stack up against the Celi's. Surprisingly they have had some trouble getting aftermarket attention as well. Although they have WAY more than we do.

so u guys think a stock MP3 can beat a STOCK GTS? assume they are both MANUAL...

honestly, MP3 is nice and not really slow..but i dun think MP3 can kill GTS or even keep up with it..unless the GTS driver dun even know how to drive a stick!

but..for a Celica GT...i believe a MP3 will win the race...but it depends on the driver though

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: ahson ]

i'll say that they both be even, even tho we got 17lb.-ft more but we olso got 200 lbs more then the gt so i say they be even :D ;) :p

Is the auto GT-S a 4 speed or 5 speed? I don't feel like looking through my mags. Probably four right? That would explain the drastic difference between the P5spd and Cauto. I mean, you're losing some serious gearing there. I can't believe they would even make an auto GT-S.

Later, Rishie

The GT-S is a SIX speed. The Celica has no low-end torque or horses, but if you rev it up, the car flies. It redlines at 7800 rpm, for cryin out loud.

Here's some real data:

Road and Track, November 2001, test of ten "hot cars under $25" - (Included both Celica GT-S and Mazda MP3):

Horsepower: MP3 - 140 Celica - 180
Torque: - 142 - 130
0 to 60: - 8.4 sec - 7.2 sec
1/4 mile - 16.5 @ 83.8 - 15.7 @89.8
slalom : - 68.5mph - 63.6mph
skidpad: - .84g - .79g
transmission: - 5 speed - 6 speed

The editors said the Celica is a dog around town, but comes alive when driven hard. They also called the MP3 the BEST SPORTS CAR VALUE CURRENTLY AVAILABLE IN AMERICA.

So, yes, the GT-S whips the MP3 down the track. But isn't it much more fun to beat 'em in the twisties? 'Cause the MP3 not only beats the Celica in the slalom, it also beats the Corvette Z06, and Ferrari 360 Spyder. Sounds like a winner to me.

The GT-S shouldn't even compare with the MP3. I have raced my friend's GT-S many times for fun. The MP3 won't even stand a chance, not to mention it has 40 hp more and higher redline. But it also has a Variable timing system and lighter weight.

The MP3 can beat the GT Auto, and will be a close race with the GT manual, it very depend on the driver.

i think that since the gt dosent have anything down low the mp3 would win in a race with a gt. my friend is getting a gt manual in feb. and we are going to race ill let everyone know when that happens.

Back