Problems with my 02 protege

Well, i'd get a second opinion. tell that shop you are going to go home and talk it over with your wife so they let you take the car with you. before you go back, get another opinion from a different transmission shop. if you tell a different transmission shop that you were told it needs rebuilt, they will probably take a deeper look.

transmission shops want your money and will tell you when a perfectly good trans needs to be rebuilt. If it ran good during that 10 minute drive, something electrical has got to be going on. when that overdrive light flashes again, get it scanned while it's flashing. if transmission is shot, sure...get it rebuilt. itll get you another 10 years of service at least.

I wish I had enough time for a second opinion. They wanted to replace the transmission with a reman. They quoted $2800 LOL not happening. So yesterday I picked it up and unfortunately I'm out of time before my 23 hour drive starting tomorrow morning (Thursday). Since yesterday, I've driven it about 250 miles.... No problems whatsoever except for the existing problem of it delaying before going into drive when it hasn't been driven for a while. Still getting 30+ mpg on my highway drives.

At this point, is it worth it to change the tranny fluid before my trip?

Talked to a local auto parts store worker and he said if that's the only problem I have (delay going into drive), then don't worry about it. He said it wouldn't even be worth dropping the pan and replacing the fluid because that could knock debris loose and make everything much worse. He did recommend using a trans additive that should help but he said it doesn't sound very necessary. Is he right or wrong about debris getting knocked loose by replacing the fluid? Also, I'm not sure if I'm finding the correct fluid to replace it with if I were to. Are you talking about the valvoline max life full synthetic for dex/merc/mercon LV? Or the regular valvoline dex/merc?

As far as suspension, I replaced both rear strut mounts and struts... Seems to have helped a lot but I may need to replace the sway bar links to get rid of all of the noise.

Thanks!
Go with Moog End Links for the rear of the Car i have that rattling noise to and its driving me nuts i can never pin point what it is because its nothing visible when im under the car. I still am hoping that if i replace my Rear Endlinks which ive already done the Rattling will go away.

^^^^ I will have to Try those out when I have the time! Thanks for the input, glad I'm not the only one lol

Yeah it seems to be common on these cars do you know where the Rattling Noise is coming from?

I can't pinpoint it but it's definitely in the rearend somewhere. Sounds like it's close to the wheels... So sway bar links are probably the culprit

Your rear endlinks AND bushings are likely shot. Your rear upper strut mounts will make a considerable amount of noise. A lot of water seeps through the base of the strut mount and over the years will rot out the mount.

Your rear endlinks AND bushings are likely shot. Your rear upper strut mounts will make a considerable amount of noise. A lot of water seeps through the base of the strut mount and over the years will rot out the mount.

I already replaced the rear struts and upper strut mounts. It took away a lot of the squeaking/rattling, but there's still a little bit when you go over a decent bump or when turning on to a road that inclines slightly.

Back