Problem with cranking (2018 CX-5)

Hi everyone

VIDEO ATTACHED

Had my 2018 CX5 serviced recently and fuel/pollen filter were changed etc.

Since having car back, it's developed a fault where it struggles to turn over when a cold start. It's fine if it's been running and then I leave it for a short time and come back.

I've attached a video but anyone had any similar issues?

The garage that serviced has yet to determine the fault as no code is being displayed.

Found a thread talking about the EGR valve so thinking this.
No issues to note from diagnostic including battery.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20230415_091617.mp4
    34.6 MB
Last edited:
I had a similar issue, and it was a dying battery. New battery fixed the slow cranking when cold issue.

I had a similar issue, and it was a dying battery. New battery fixed the slow cranking when cold issue.
Thanks for the reply. Did you have yours plugged into a diagnostic machine? We had that done and it said battery was fine.

It's a 2.2 diesal by the way

Tommy,
You can measure the voltage of 12V battery when it is cold (after engine is off for at least 10 mins).
It should read about 12.6V (2.1V * 6 cells).
If it is lower than that (says, 12.2V), your battery is getting old.
If 10.5v, one of the cell is bad... (not likely in your case since you can get it started)
Use a multi-meter from Autozone or Walmart.
It is very affordable and useful anyway.

For a '18, if the 12V battery has never been replaced, it is about time.

Had my 2018 CX5 serviced recently and fuel/pollen filter were changed etc. ...

Sounds like your battery is plenty strong cranking the engine over and I don't think the battery is your issue.

With having it serviced recently and the fuel filter changed, I wonder if the filter could be a little loose or a problem with the filter o-ring or water switch o-ring on the bottom or water purge valve. Sounds to me like it's getting air in the fuel rail. That's where you'll find the problem ... Fuel (IMHO)

This would be a good situation to use the FORScan app and see what the fuel pressure is while it's trying to start.

Take off the battery terminals, clean the posts and inside the clamps, put them back on. If my car sits for 2 weeks, the battery will be down on voltage. I can't find a significant drain. I just charge it every couple weeks...

Hi everyone

VIDEO ATTACHED

Had my 2018 CX5 serviced recently and fuel/pollen filter were changed etc.

Since having car back, it's developed a fault where it struggles to turn over when a cold start. It's fine if it's been running and then I leave it for a short time and come back.

I've attached a video but anyone had any similar issues?

The garage that serviced has yet to determine the fault as no code is being displayed.

Found a thread talking about the EGR valve so thinking this.
No issues to note from diagnostic including battery.

Thanks in advance
Somehow I can’t play your video on my iPhone. I saw the “i-stop” light in dash and your 2018 CX5 definitely isn’t in the US. HyFlyer (he has a rare 2019 CX-5 diesel in the US) said your battery is plenty strong cranking the engine over, and you don’t have such problem before the service, I’d agree with him and you should follow his advice looking for problems caused by replacing the fuel filter.

And if you really need a new battery, you need a special and expensive Mazda Q-85 battery for i-stop and programming after the replacement.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I should add they have tried 3 new fuel filters. The last being an official Mazda one.
Bizarrely, it hasn't done it today but it did yesterday when it returned from the garage.

Do you fill the fuel filter up with diesel before you install it?

Have you checked the metal surface that the filter attached to for imperfections?

How about the sediment switch/purge valve that attaches to the bottom of the filter? How's that o-ring and is the valve fully closed?

Are you taking any fuel lines apart? If so, how are those o-rings. (I know some of the older 2.2 diesels are more involved with the filter change requiring the housing to be disassembled from the firewall)

I'm just throwing out some possibilities, not insinuating that you don't know how to change a filter. I just feel like it's a fuel problem not electrical.

... Bizarrely, it hasn't done it today ...

Hopefully something just didn't "seat" properly somehow with those previous filters and now all is 👍 good 😊

I once changed the oil/filter on my Ducati and the filter was "seeping" oil ever so slightly. Tried tightening, lubing the gasket, replacing it. Finally, an aftermarket wix filter sealed up no problem. Go figure.

Thanks for the replies. I should add they have tried 3 new fuel filters. The last being an official Mazda one.
Bizarrely, it hasn't done it today but it did yesterday when it returned from the garage.
I believe the diesel fuel filter on Mazda 2.2D diesel is more complicated (such as preventing water in the diesel fuel like HyFlyer mentioned) than those used for gasoline engines. Something could be specially made for 2.2D and you may have to use Mazda OEM fuel fuel filter to avoid problems. Keep us posted.

Back