PROBLEM Lowering Springs!

Minishotglass said:
Okay this applies to p5's with eibach prokit lowering springs, but anyone who has dealt or know about this problem please reply!

I have a p5 and just installed the eibach prokit on the stock shocks. When I took it out for a test drive the first bumpy road I got on I got this rattling/squeaking noise from BOTH the rear sides. The fronts are fine. It's not really a clunk (what is a clunk?) but metal to metal rattling/banging sound.

I doubt the washer fix because it's coming from both sides?

My theory is that the "dead/extra" coils that contact the top plate hit each other. But the thing is I don't think Eibach "engineered" the spring coils to hit against each other. Besides, Ive read posts from people who have the same setup where bumpy roads are "ghostly quiet".

Every mounting nut has been tightened to factory specs using a torque wrench and doubled checked before the test drive.

Please help!

yes, it can either by the strut mounts clunking, or the spring coils banging against each other

http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15498&goto=lastpost

s***.....sorry guys for the late reply haha.....problem has REDUCED SIGNIFICANTLY to a slight "clunk" when going over bumps. but overall I'm happy now. Thanks for all your help guys....

This is what I did:

Yes the bowl washer was properly oriented in a "bowl" shape and I stacked 2 #12 metric washers which fit like a condom.

I jacked up the rear of the car took off the rear wheels and disconnected the endlinks (the point where the endlinks connect to the rear swaybar), then reconnected them. But instead of tightening one endlink nut before tightening the other I sorta went back and forth in tightening to make sure they were equally tightened. Then it as finalized with a torque wrench.

I also have a feeling that most of the noise came because my rear deck interior wasn't reinstalled. But once I got everything put back together.......I can honestly say problem solved.....

Pretty much I did the washer trick, re-torqued the rear endlinks, and put the interior back in. All I get now is a faint clunk noise rather than what I described earlier as a sound of "the rear suspension falling apart"

Thanks guys!

Rep points to all replies

I just wanted to post something recent about this issue. I have an 02 P5, and installed an Eibach Prokit with new struts. Everything was tightened and torqued, but there was a horrible rattle in the back suspension. I could hear the shocks bottoming out as well when I would hit bumps. I did some research and found this thread. I uninstalled and re-installed the back struts, only this time adding a washer below the nut. Boom, problem fixed, no more awful rattle coming from the newly installed struts and Eibach lowering springs.

For those who haven't done this or who plan to have someone else do it, Eibach includes a "tips and tricks" document with every Pro Kit. One of the most important tips is to NOT tighten everything until the car is lowered onto the ground and sitting on its tires. Failure to do this will result in a ride height that is not as low as advertised.

The Pro-Kit comes with a long list of tips and tricks for installation. Make sure you follow them. I just had the Pro Kit installed on my 2014 3 with no issues.

Back