Prices for a full brake job? 2018 CX-5

Mechanic said front brakes need to be done: new pads and turn rotors @ $384. Told service advisor I can do all 4 sides with pads and new centric rotors for $350 at home. Needless to say, I said no thank you. Lol
Actually, that dealer price is not so bad if only ~$30 difference (I know, not new rotors, but they really aren't required).

Actually, that dealer price is not so bad if only ~$30 difference (I know, not new rotors, but they really aren't required).
What i never understood is people will shop around to save dollars on prescriptions and medical services or pennies on toilet paper but pay insane prices for car maintenance.

Had to get a new key fob programmed today at the dealer. Mechanic said front brakes need to be done: new pads and turn rotors @ $384. Told service advisor I can do all 4 sides with pads and new centric rotors for $350 at home. Needless to say, I said no thank you. Lol
If you do the rears and you have EPB, make sure you enter maintenance mode and follow the proper procedure for retracting the caliper piston.
Many posters on here were not aware of that before starting their brake job, and ruined their calipers in the process.
It is also advisable to inform any Indie mechanics that you go to that work out of a barn, that this needs to be done. I suspect a lot of these guys don't know about Mazda rear brakes and maintenance mode.
If one of these guys calls you up and says your calipers are shot and need to be replaced, then you know they screwed up, but won't admit it.

Just got this quote from dealer in Baltimore for 2016.5:

$590 rear pads and rotors
$690 front pads and rotors
$149 brake fluid exchange

The car has 55k miles on it; most of the last 20k have been in the city. Rotors (driver side especially) are very rusty - I’m not sure why.

Also, quoted $568 for drive belts and tension which is/are supposedly leaking.

And $400 to replace my lost fob.

I’m considering going to a reputable local mechanic but am not sure if I would save that much. I miss my ‘06 Civic.

The car has 55k miles on it; most of the last 20k have been in the city. Rotors (driver side especially) are very rusty - I’m not sure why.

I’m considering going to a reputable local mechanic but am not sure if I would save that much. I miss my ‘06 Civic.
Wow. 1300 for full pad and rotor job. I can tell you that parts are about 300-400.

I replaced my belts and tensioner last year. Parts were like 150 for both belts and the tensioner?

A little investment in tools and educating yourself can save you thousands, my friend.

@CiudadCX5 , sounds like a good time to learn how to do brakes. They're not difficult (IMHO) to do. Basic tools. Pay yourself $1000 bux instead of the dealer.

Wow. 1300 for full pad and rotor job. I can tell you that parts are about 300-400.

I replaced my belts and tensioner last year. Parts were like 150 for both belts and the tensioner?

A little investment in tools and educating yourself can save you thousands, my friend.
Just had rear brakes done and rotors turned at my dealer on my 16. $204.76

These might seem very expensive to others, but these prices are in line with what Mazda dealer charges in SF Bay Area.

BTW, the for $590/$690, do you get new rotors or just resurfacing?
I am betting on the latter ...
;)

These might seem very expensive to others, but these prices are in line with what Mazda dealer charges in SF Bay Area.

BTW, the for $590/$690, do you get new rotors or just resurfacing?
I am betting on the latter ...
;)
If a dealer tried to sell me a resurfacing job for that price I'd slap him lol

if you go to rockauto, you can get front and rear pads for $40 (power stop) and four centric rotors for $100. $140 total! If you can’t diy, find a local mechanic and I bet he will charge you $400 to do the job, all in, half the dealer price.

I don’t know why anyone would resurface or turn a rotor, just get new ones, they are dirt cheap.

Back