PR5 bad gas mileage

I get bad gas mileage too, and I know why....

Cause I drive it spiritedly!!!

I've got a manual, and the WORST mileage I've ever gotten was 26mpg, and that was with all city in the winter, with snow tires on. Last year my winter average was 28.5 mpg. My best is 37mpg, but that was highway in the summer. And yes, I track my fuel economy in a spreadsheet. In fact, my average since last august is 30.5 mpg.

I've got a manual, and the WORST mileage I've ever gotten was 26mpg, and that was with all city in the winter, with snow tires on. Last year my winter average was 28.5 mpg. My best is 37mpg, but that was highway in the summer. And yes, I track my fuel economy in a spreadsheet. In fact, my average since last august is 30.5 mpg.

Are those Canadian gallons? Those are 20% larger than US gallons, which inflates Canadian MPG by the same factor, when compared to US MPG.

nope, I used an online conversion that went from litres per 100 km to US miles per gallon. I think the site I used was: http://www.tdiclub.com/misc/conversions.html

It also gave me the figures as imperial (rest of the world but U.S.) gallons, it was 44+mpg at the best. And most people in Canada use the 3.78 litre US gallon in my experience, except for car makers when they are boasting about their fuel economy.

yeah wtf!

I have been getting 23-29mpg! Not bad, but I use to get 24-34mpg! I only use chevron. Plugs, filter, tire pressures, and alignment are all good.

Well when I always did a oil change and I did the fuel injector cleaner. Then every 6 months balance, rotate tires, and alignment every year. I got a AEM cold air intake it work good and the other thing is to u won't need to buy any more filter. U buy a recharge kit from the part store for 10 dollars and clean it out and recharge the filter every 15,000 miles. Most important check tire pressure every 2 week at least.

i just put 1300 miles on my car in about 5 days i averaged 32.37 mpg. thats like 1200 hwy and 100 city miles. i cant complain at all, i get killer gas milage. my car as 81k miles and still runs like a champ. i keep the car in tip top shape (i'ma ase master cert tech;)) and do regulare sea foaming treatment to the car. i recently took the intake mani off to tighten the butterfly screws as a PM thing and i have NO carbon build up on the valves or anywhere for that fact. i do my aligment every 5k miles when i change my oil and have never had any pulling or uneven tire wear. maybe i'm just lucky???

We get 28- 32 miles per gallon in the Prote with over 133K miles on her. Best was 36 mpg on vacation this fall coming back from Disney Land. With the MP3 ECU we are required to run 91 Octane.

You want to talk about bad gas mileage? Our 1992 Dodge Dakota with over 240K miles on a 318 V-8 averages 14 MPG.

Then our 1950 Chevy truck gets between 10 & 12 MPG depending if Bill or I am driving. LOL The ZZ4 motor requires 92 Octane except Arizona only goes up to 91.

So you getting 26 mpg isn't all that bad.

Our 2002 Protege 5 just got 26 mpg.... all freeway miles, and just did some city driving and it got 23 mpg. I know, not good. I had new plugs, wires, and the injectors cleaned about 4 months ago, I'm sure my air filter is dirty, should I upgrade to a cold air intake? If so what kind, and how easy are they to install and do they come with directions? I have the Borla cat back exhaust on it and has been on there since basically new, we are original owners of the car.

That's not bad! I get about 25 Hwy 22 - 23 City. It sounds as if you have a average Protege 5. If it's 30 mpg your looking for buy a Geo.(rlaugh)

I tend to average around 28-31 mpg on mine, city / hwy mix. I've got 115k on mine now. It's most likely in need of plugs and wires since the PO didn't keep up with maintenance much.

when do they actually start with winter gas?

I've noticed that i've gotten a little less mpg recently.

been getting 23.5mpg with a mix of city and highway.

used to get 24 just city and 28 mixed.

you're going to get worse fuel mileage in the winter regardless of winter blend or not. Denser, colder air = more fuel. A nice side effect is more power. The turbo guys love the winter for the most part lol. Us NA folks too... but not AS much ;)

you're going to get worse fuel mileage in the winter regardless of winter blend or not. Denser, colder air = more fuel. A nice side effect is more power. The turbo guys love the winter for the most part lol. Us NA folks too... but not AS much ;)

HA! i will let you drive my car in the cold and tell me how much you love it

Its funny this thread is up top my g/f is having serious fuel consumtion issues. Her car is getting maybey just maybey 275-325 miles out of a tank of fuel. and thats all highway driving. So far i have changed the air filter, changed the plugs, put on a 626 intake mani, just put on a obx header thought maybey the cat was clogged, and reset the ECU. Tire presures are all 32-34psi and the alignment is right on. I cant figure out for the life of me what is causeing such bad mileage. i am about to knock out the second cat to eliminate that being the issue. anybody have any ideas?

At what average speed though? What type of acceleration from stop lights? There are other factors on top of alignment, tire pressures, etc.

average speed of 60-80 and its all highway no stop lights or traffic or anything. I dont care what speed its at really anything below 110 shouldnt net that bad of mileage. I pull about 500miles out of my MSP on long trips no problem

average speed of 60-80 and its all highway no stop lights or traffic or anything. I dont care what speed its at really anything below 110 shouldnt net that bad of mileage. I pull about 500miles out of my MSP on long trips no problem

60 mph = ~ 38ish mpg
65 mph = ~ 36ish mpg
70 mph = ~ 32ish mpg
75 mph = ~ 28ish mpg

These are what I've found for my particular car. Full factory exhaust, SRI, and MTX. Don't forget that wind resistance is an exponential function and will hamper fuel mileage accordingly.

A free flowing exhaust and better intake will yield better mileage. The poster formerly known as Kansei avgs 36+ mpg with his turbo P5 hwy, and overall averages better than my N/A car.

her exhaust consists of the obx header stock second cat, and a mazdaspeed axel back. By my calculations she is only getting 23mpg

Back