2021 CX-9 Carbon edition Fuel efficiency concerns

On my first tank of the 2021 Carbon edition CX-9 I got 26 mpg (all freeway driving). But since then the gas mileage has dropped significantly. I get anywhere between 18-20 on freeways and 16 in city. I have shown to the dealership and they don't see any problem. Oil levels are correct, brakes are okay, tire pressure is good. I have 3000 miles on my car. I can't understand why it would drop like that. I have been driving the car with proper acceleration and breaking. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Are you calculating the miles divided by the actual gallons of gas you pump into the tank? (I know, the question sounds silly, but some people assume that when the gas nozzle clicks off the tank is full to it's stated capacity. That's what they use when calculating mpg.)

Upvote 0
Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I do exactly that. Also I have seen my calculation matches closely to what the system computer displays on the dashboard. I am getting 260-280 miles on 14.5 miles a gallon. I fill gas when 1/4 tank is left.

Upvote 0
I find the gas mileage improves after the first oil change. I would also recommend getting the first oil change sooner than later - at 3K miles and not at 5 or 7.5K that some dealers are recommending.

Upvote 0
Back