Power window issue

Scott P

:
2006 MazdaSpeed 6
Our 2008 CX-9 is starting to show its age. I replaced the driver's door regulator a few months ago. This morning, the wife couldn't get the passenger front window to roll back up. It would go up a few inches, then go back down. The happened with both switches and when holding the switch or on auto. I had to pull up on the window while she held the switch up to keep it closed.

So, what could be the issue? We are set to get rain this week, so I would like to fix it soon. I can order another motor/regulator off of Rockauto again and replace it. But, some minor internet research says disconnecting the battery for a few seconds and reconnecting it fixes it. The issue is related to the anti-pinch feature. The wife won't be home until after work, so I can't test out the latter solution. I'd rather not have to order the part if a simple power rest would fix it.

Has anyone experienced this issue and figured out how to fix it?

I had the same issue on a different car (an 03 beetle) and my mechanic said the window tracks had come out of alignment. That in turn made the motor work harder than it has to, and in turn triggered the anti pinch.

^ Yep, most likely culprit is too much resistance from the window going up causing the anti-pinch safety system to roll it back down. You'll need to pull the door panel and inspect the mechanism. Could be something popped out of the track or could be as simple as just needing a little lube to get it operating smoothly again.

If you get it apart and it's operating smoothly the problem is in the safety system then you're probably looking at an issue with the motor or the safety system. I'm not sure if that safety reverse is built into the motor or if it's a separate component though. I assume it just measures electrical load and when the load spikes as though the window hit an obstruction the motor reverses to put the window back down.

I pulled off the negative terminal yesterday and put it back on after a few minutes. Everything is working fine so far. Hopefully I won't have to tear the door apart. That is a pain.

Latest posts

Back