Power/Performance Mods for 2016 ND Miata?

Hey there!

I'm looking to know more information about mods that could increase the HP/WHP of a 2016 ND. I know there are turbo and supercharger kits but I'm looking for more "simple" mod that can bring the car up to what an ND2 is outputting.

Any ideas where I could start or what should I install to gain those 30 or so HP?

A simple mod that will give you an increase of 30hp?

It ain't happenin without some sort of forced induction.

Ah, sorry my mistake. Maybe a series of simple mods that can bring up the HP. I'm planning to get the supercharger at some point but I would like to start somewhere that is more budget friendly for the time being.

The simplest and fastest way to 30 extra horsepower is a shot of nitrous oxide.

If you look at it this way, it's not "just" 30 horsepower you're asking for, it's a 20% increase in power output. That's huge. Like, way huge. Looking at it that way, it would be like adding 100 horsepower to a Mustang GT!

The first thing you need to do is verify that your engine can actually take a 20% bump in horsepower. If you've got 200,000 miles on it, and you're not the original owner so you can't verify that the engine has been meticulously maintained, I'd at least check the main and rod bearings, see how much slop you have in them. And that's just for starters.

Last edited:
I would add the transmission to @theblooms comment. Since the car is an ND1 and there are known issues with transmission failures, is it a V1, V2, etc.? With that bump in power, a future transmission replacement and cost is something to keep in mind.

Thanks for all your replies, but I'm still a little lost as to where to start looking for more power haha.

The car has 60k miles on it, previous owner took good care of it and I already did all the oil changes and whatnot. My car is also automatic transmission, I understand that the transmission failures occur more in the manuals no?

Any way, I have started to look into the Fab9 versatuner mod and they claim 12-15hp increase depending on the car's condition. I guess that is a good starting point to get a custom tune.

A tune is a good start and a necessity if you plan on upgrading your header. If you forego the header, I'd suggest the GWR Race or SSST muffler. Both offer the same HP increase, 3-5hp across most of the RPM range and 8hp towards the top end. I personally have the SSST on my 2016 ST with AT and love the sound with no baffle. Mazda did a great job with the stock intake so it isn't going to net any worthwhile numbers or noise but it will look nice in the engine bay. ;) So with the tune and one of the mufflers I mentioned you are looking at a 15-20hp increase. Not quite the ND2 bump but better than nothing.

Correct about the transmission failures.

Many people with the ND1 changed the exhaust to get a little bit more power.

Back