Post CX-5 Reviews...

"Just before that, it couldnt handle a long, gradual hill at 65 m.p.h. without the automatics shifting down from sixth to fifth gear with only a driver aboard."

Don't most ordinary cars usually need to downshift at least one gear when going up long hills? Maybe I'm just used to cars like this, having always low-torque cars, but the CX-5's downshifting needs don't seem unusual at all to me.

"Just before that, it couldn’t handle a long, gradual hill at 65 m.p.h. without the automatic’s shifting down from sixth to fifth gear with only a driver aboard."

Don't most ordinary cars usually need to downshift at least one gear when going up long hills? Maybe I'm just used to cars like this, having always low-torque cars, but the CX-5's downshifting needs don't seem unusual at all to me.

I agree. I mean, 6th at 65 up a hill? Are you kidding me? Just letting the whole "under powered" mantra get to their heads.

Yes, a modern 6 speed tranny is included for good reasons.

And I agree as well........

Before purchasing a new AWD GT last friday, I probably read every review and report available and the oft-referenced "power deficiency" was a slight concern. Although we have only had the vehicle for 4 days, we've driven it over 300 miles on a wide variety of roads and conditions. Any reservations about power are long gone and I feel the vehicle's powetrain is well-engineered and matched for the designed use. I also think it's already "learning" and adjusting transmission shift patterns, etc. to our particular driving style. It's a matter of reasonable expectations - i.e. not expecting rocketship performance coupled with the outstanding fuel mileage this vehicle delivers.

A recent, brief, CX5 petrol (gas) review is here

I find the 19" wheels fine on our poor roads and the gear box (manual) is excellent - better than my old Tiguan's

Last edited:
"The CX-5 can't match a VW Tiguan for agility..."

Seriously? I've never driven a Tiguan. The Tiguan handles better than the CX-5?

My Tiguan Sport (note 'Sport' model) was a similarly powered diesel to my CX5 and it did handle a bit better round corners. There was less tilting/roll BUT the consequential ride was bone shattering. The Tiguan Sport was criticised for its ride in motoring press and I should have taken notice before buying one. I should imagine the Tiguan SE (with not as stiff suspension) would be very similar handling to the CX5's, but not better.

It has been mentioned in a car mag (I think the same one in a different review) that the 19" wheels give too harsh a ride. I've got the 19" and the ride is very good.

Man all these reviews is really tempting me to get one. I need a replacement for my S4.

I'll try to test drive one in the next week and see how it goes. It's down to a 1.6L Escape or CX-5 but leaning to a CX-5 as long as power is not a big issue.
Question...

Anyone have a Mazda3 2.3? My wife has a Mazda3 and the power is fine on that car.

New Mazda 6 review

Not about the CX5 but i found it interesting

Nice review! I've read other glowing ones too, especially about the handling. I'd be tempted by the 6 for our second car, except the darn thing is a foot longer than a CX-5, which is already slightly longer than the small cars I'm used to. The 6 literally wouldn't fit in my condo parking space without the tail getting in the way of the neighbor's car (we park like an "L").

Nice to see the family resemblance though with the CX-5 and Mazda6, both inside and out. Can't wait to see what they do with the Mazda3!

Back