Possibly returning p5 owner.

KawiNinjaZX

:
2010 Mazda CX-7 Sport
So I had an 02 white p5 5 speed that I sold in 2007 it had like 50k miles. I had a mazdaspeed axle back exhaust, mazdaspeed shift knob and badges and a cold air intake, as well as a stock msp front bumper. I loved it, I had to sell it got a company car and didn't need it anymore. I am possibly getting a new job and looking to get something cheap for around $3000, thinking if another p5.

If I go to look at one is there anything in particular I should know about the high mileage cars? Most are 120-150k miles. I can do all the maintenance myself so that's not a problem.

If wrench turning is no problem, focus on as clean a body as possible. You dont want any rust. $3000 usd should get you there. Engines and trannies cost pennies from wreckers or parts cars.
But lots of info on this forum to fix pretty much anything.
Dont get mindfked about engine codes. These cars misfire a lot and it seems normal. But it will turn the cel on quite often.

I would also watch out for serious suspension clunking and creaking issues. Not the standard anti roll bar clunking or even distinguishable suspension noises as they are fixable. I mean the all around everything in the suspension system is shot kinda stuff. A former protege I had ran like a top engine wise but no matter how many suspension and steering parts were replaced it never got to sounding and feeling solid. My new 03 P5 with 170ish k miles...perfection. I guess just watch for serious abuse or neglect from previous owners.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Even so all that s*** is cheappppp on these cars. If you went oem spec would prob costunder $1000 for all suspension guts.
Rust is what kills thesecars. Check strut towers for rust. Check subframes ect.

Hopefully I hear about this new job Monday, in reality if I wanted I could go out and buy a brand new focus st but I don't want a big payment (my wife has a 2012 focus hatchback 5 speed which I also like) . If I get a p5 I can put some money into it to make it really nice, I don't care if it's fast, these cars just look so good.

dont buy that one luls

Hey - besides a wash every time they salt the roads, what else do I do to prevent rust in these cars? I've decided to sink a grand into mine and keep it for as long as possible. Right now - I don't see any rust apart from the hubs (that area where the brake rotors are attached) and the bolts holding on the windshield wipers, LOL. Maybe I'm lucky... but I live in the rust-belt now so I gotta figure out what to do to prevent this sh&t

Have your car under coated/oil sprayed every year.
Go to a place that does a thorough job,.. including drilling holes in the pillars to get the spray where it's needed.

This applies to the OP as well... Don't let it dissolve away in your driveway.

Really I just keep thinking of William H Macy in Fargo… “yeah that TrueCoat …you betcha” LOL
2Q==

Back