Possible VVT Solenoid issue

lcann25

:
2014 CX-5
Hi everyone,

I had posted the other day about my 2014 acting odd. It's quite down on power and just acting really sluggish. I went out today and just poked around it a bit. I unhooked the battery, cleaned the MAF sensor, and removed the engine cover and just looked around. Upon doing this I noticed the VVT Solenoid is quite saturated with oil. Around the unit and also the wiring connector was wet. I unhooked it and cleaned it up as much as possible with some sensor cleaner. After taking it for a drive I noticed no change in the way it acts at all. Still low on power, especially at highway speeds where stomping the pedal almost does nothing.. I have no engine codes at all, but is it possible that the VVT Solenoid is not working to change the timing and that's why I'm down on power? I've googled around quite a bit and can see that it leaking seems to be a common issue, and I can see how to change it, but I can't really see anything about it's performance or how to diagnose it. Has anyone run into this?

How many miles? Might try a compression check to see if you have a valve or ring problem...

I got a few codes for the vvt solenoid on my other car. I'd used a "full synthetic" oil I got on sale at Autozone but it wasn't properly certified for that engine. I changed to a better oil and the codes and surging has gone away.

Hi everyone,

I had posted the other day about my 2014 acting odd. It's quite down on power and just acting really sluggish. I went out today and just poked around it a bit. I unhooked the battery, cleaned the MAF sensor, and removed the engine cover and just looked around. Upon doing this I noticed the VVT Solenoid is quite saturated with oil. Around the unit and also the wiring connector was wet. I unhooked it and cleaned it up as much as possible with some sensor cleaner. After taking it for a drive I noticed no change in the way it acts at all. Still low on power, especially at highway speeds where stomping the pedal almost does nothing.. I have no engine codes at all, but is it possible that the VVT Solenoid is not working to change the timing and that's why I'm down on power? I've googled around quite a bit and can see that it leaking seems to be a common issue, and I can see how to change it, but I can't really see anything about it's performance or how to diagnose it. Has anyone run into this?
Yes leaky OCV / VVT solenoid is a known issue for the SA-G 2.0L and 2.5L. Whether or not it causes your issue it needs to get replaced. You might consider to replace the valve cover gasket and OCV o-ring seal at the same time.

Control Valve Solenoid、Valve Cover Gasket、Engine Valve Cover Washer Seal

2014 CX5 Tune-Up items to replace?

If you noticed, PatrickGSR94 had de-pinned the harness plug and you want to check this too making sure wire harness pins are still in good shape.

And here’s a great source for OCV:

Control Valve Solenoid - Mazda (PE01-14-420A) partsouq.com

My 2014 CX5 had this problem. Fortunately it was replaced under the power train warranty before it ran out. It can be quite the involved process. Doesn't really affect performance, just makes a mess.

Back