2016~2023 Possible CX-9 Lowering Spring Option?

:
Mazda CX-9 Signature
I've been toying with the idea of swapping in a set of 2nd gen CX-5 springs but couldn't find a good set for a good price to try.

Things I've considered...
1) CX-9s are roughly 600lb heavier than CX-5s so theorically 150lb/corner heavier which should squat a fair amount.

2) Strut towers, strut bearings, spring seats are all interchangeable between CX-9 & CX-5 meaning springs should be "plug n play".

Things I would like to know if someone can help...

1) spring length compressed and uncompressed

2) spring rates

Hope this will spark interest for someone who can make this a reality.

I suspect the rear of the CX-9 will be much heavier than the CX-5. The weight distribution is probably +100lbs per corner in the front, and +200lbs per corner in the rear.

Corksport has the CX-5 springs for $250. More than I want to spend to “test” but if someone has an extra $250 I will gladly try them and let you know how it goes.

Putting extra weight on lowering springs will likely slam the car. But hopefully someone with cx-5 will get them and part the OEM out 😁

I’d want to know as well. There are coilovers available but at about $2k, I’ll just keep it stock. That’s more money than I care to spend just to lower it. I contacted corksport about it and they said they’d need more interest in CX-9 lowering springs. They told me to submit a product idea. You can do it on their web page to also show them more interest in the idea. Hopefully corksport comes out with lowering springs for the CX-9 crew.

I’d want to know as well. There are coilovers available but at about $2k, I’ll just keep it stock. That’s more money than I care to spend just to lower it. I contacted corksport about it and they said they’d need more interest in CX-9 lowering springs. They told me to submit a product idea. You can do it on their web page to also show them more interest in the idea. Hopefully corksport comes out with lowering springs for the CX-9 crew.

I did the same thing (submitted product ideas) a couple of years ago. I think the demand is just too low. Any CX-5 owners want to sell their OEM springs? Lol

I think we might have another option for lowering springs. Has anyone heard of Coil Spring Specialties? They basically make custom springs and I inquired about a set. You can request anything from how low you’d want to drop or how high you’d want to raise. You can even request for the stiffness or softness. I just requested for a quote on a set that would give me a 2” drop and 25% stiffer than stock. I’ll post back when I get a response.

Here’s a link to their website if you want to check them out.

I think we might have another option for lowering springs. Has anyone heard of Coil Spring Specialties? They basically make custom springs and I inquired about a set. You can request anything from how low you’d want to drop or how high you’d want to raise. You can even request for the stiffness or softness. I just requested for a quote on a set that would give me a 2” drop and 25% stiffer than stock.
FYI, any spring shop can do this (if they want to).

I think we might have another option for lowering springs. Has anyone heard of Coil Spring Specialties? They basically make custom springs and I inquired about a set. You can request anything from how low you’d want to drop or how high you’d want to raise. You can even request for the stiffness or softness. I just requested for a quote on a set that would give me a 2” drop and 25% stiffer than stock. I’ll post back when I get a response.

Here’s a link to their website if you want to check them out.
Did you ever get a response on what they would charge for your requested info?

Did you ever get a response on what they would charge for your requested info?
So after contacting them and giving them the OEM part numbers for the front and rear springs, they said they couldn’t find that part number in their system so they asked if I could send in a set of springs for them to test. It would be $600 for a whole set of lowering springs from them in addition to if I purchased some OEM springs and sent them their way. All in all if I did that, I’d have spent probably close to $1000 if not more. At that point coilovers are just a couple hundred dollars away. Might as well go that route. But whatever, I think I’ll just leave it now. I’d love to lower it but for the amount I’d be spending, I feel like, to me, it wouldn’t be worth it.

Now if another company like corksport had some for $400-$600, I’d give them a shot. But there isn’t enough of use that want to modify this thing so to them, the interest is low.

So after contacting them and giving them the OEM part numbers for the front and rear springs, they said they couldn’t find that part number in their system so they asked if I could send in a set of springs for them to test. It would be $600 for a whole set of lowering springs from them in addition to if I purchased some OEM springs and sent them their way. All in all if I did that, I’d have spent probably close to $1000 if not more. At that point coilovers are just a couple hundred dollars away. Might as well go that route. But whatever, I think I’ll just leave it now. I’d love to lower it but for the amount I’d be spending, I feel like, to me, it wouldn’t be worth it.

Now if another company like corksport had some for $400-$600, I’d give them a shot. But there isn’t enough of use that want to modify this thing so to them, the interest is low.

This mirrors an experience I had when I wanted to lower my CX-9. All I really want are springs that cut the fender gap down by an inch or two, but it seems that coilovers and/or air suspension are pretty much the only options we have at the moment.

This mirrors an experience I had when I wanted to lower my CX-9. All I really want are springs that cut the fender gap down by an inch or two, but it seems that coilovers and/or air suspension are pretty much the only options we have at the moment.
Did you end up doing anything? It would be nice to try the OEM CX-5 springs but it’s just not engineered to be on a CX-9 so it probably wouldn’t even handle as good as it does stock.

Did you end up doing anything? It would be nice to try the OEM CX-5 springs but it’s just not engineered to be on a CX-9 so it probably wouldn’t even handle as good as it does stock.

No I didn't. If I could find a set of used OEM CX-5 springs I'd give it a shot, just to see. But of course the dampers aren't valved for CX-5 springs, so it would be a temporary solution at best.

I think if I were to spend money on suspension at this point, I'd be giving Ceika coilovers or SqueakyCleanAir coilovers a try.

I’m all for taking a shot but at that cost you’re right.

And I would expect them to be cheaper than that if you were providing them with all the information (stock springs) for them to then be able to make and sell parts to others.

Now like you said if some other company that’s specializes in Mazdas would take that shot and then be able to purchase bulk To resell them to us… I would be all for it.

I know multiple people including myself have submitted product requests from corksport that they should be able to make their money back and then some but they are just not that interested in doing it.

I’m not mad at them. It’s their business they are running the way they see fit. I would just like the option for a lower cost set of springs and not the full coil over route. And that’s basically because of the price not the performance. Lol

Last edited:
As i continued my search today I came across another possible option. I have no idea who the company is, or anything about their products but wanted to share with the rest of the people searching for lowering suspension for the CX-9. The price is similar to other kits but its another option

16-21 Mazda CX-9 TC Coilovers

Already in my cart… but not pulling the trigger as I have a 2WD and not sure how much they will lower…

Already in my cart… but not pulling the trigger as I have a 2WD and not sure how much they will lower…

Yeah if I had 2WD I'd be waiting as well just to see. The car already has rake with the springs installed on the AWD, so with less weight in the rear, the rake would probably be slightly more pronounced. But hopefully it's not too much of a difference.

Back